Flow 101

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RAJOD

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on flow in an aquarium.

Many times people list 10x turn over rate as the goal but fail to explain what type of flow. If using bio filters what is min/max flow through bio balls or live rock bio filter?

1. Overflow flow
2. Closed loop flow
3. Power head flow.

How much of each type in a

1. Reef tank
2. FO only tank

Thanks, I had seen that one. It goes over power heads but thats about it.

Have not seen one that goes over Overflow vs closed loop etc.

Ie. One could get 10,000 gph just by blowing water around with powerheads but zero of it is actually filtered through a overflow.

try this for starters:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/pumpssetup/a/aa082799_3.htm

However, I use Bing and type in the following keywords, "aquarium", "flow", "rate", "reef", you should have a good selection of articles to read. :)

When you are looking at flow, in a reef tank, normally you are concerned with the total water movement to keep the corals healthy. When it comes to the filter, normally it does not take a very high flow rate through a filter system to handle most tanks. I would say 2x or more per hour through a filter will be fine for the tank, as far has processing the water through the filter......

But that is not close to enough flow for your reef tank. So when you look at filter flow, you don't need much (sump is normally a filter device so it does not need high flow).

Kim

I personally think that there is not correct answer to that and no rule of thumb. It all depends on your tank and what’s in it and what you want to put in it. One persons 50 gallon can and probable will have completely different needs then another persons 50 gallon tank of exactly same dimensions. You can get an idea on paper of what you may need for what you want to do but until you put all that water in motion you will not no for cretin. Do the research like NC2WA indicated and it will get you on the way to water wellness.

Back