Flow and coral formation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
Let talk about how flow affects coral formation. As with most reletively new tanks mine has plenty of fuzzy sticks. Mine grow upward quickly and stay thin for a long time before they begin to branch out. I have plenty of flow in terms of waste removal but no alternating current.
The coral formations are unnatural looking just because the bases are very thin by comparison to wild colonies.

Lets hear how some of you are making your colonies grow fat and happy.

Don

Well I see there's lots of views but no comments so I'll jump in... My frags tend to start branching out after they have grown to about 2 inches and have grown significantly thicker.

The colonies I purchase maintain their thick growth. I have a new humilis colony that has got over 10 nubs on each branch which have developed in the last 3 weeks.

Here is a picture of a colony I grew from a small frag. You can see how it grew up about two inches then grew out.
FragGrowOut.jpg

I use strong alternating flow through a OM 8way split into 14 inlets with an ampmaster 4600? i think..

Anthony has talked about the nutritional benefit of having constant flow in one direction, versus random flow in alternate directions but I believe it definately impacts growth patters..

Here is another pic where you can see a purple frag now beginnign to branch out, and next to it a green colony where the longer franches have several visible "nubs"

CoralGrowout.jpg

Last edited:
This is a very interesting topic!

As I am looking to create my first reef aquarium now I am very interested to know what to do regarding my flow...especially regarding constant or alternating flow...what is the best way in general ? and if constant flow is the must with there is such buzz with the wavemakers etc?

New to the board so go easy on me... ;)

i have 2 6200 streams in my tank, i'd like some more to give me the alternating current, but how much turnover is a good starting point.??
totally sps.

tony.

Another consideration is how you mount your frags. Instead of mounting the frag so that the coral is sticking straight up (essentially continuing the growth pattern it had in the frag grow-out tank of whoever you got it from), try laying it on its side. It will attach more securely to the rockwork, and will send out multiple branches.

How often do broken pieces in the wild end up being wedged in perfectly upright???

the frags in the tank came like that, stood upright. when i manage to get a frag off of any of the colonies i do try and place the frag lying down. i have used this technique many times before.

tony.

jlehigh said:
Anthony has talked about the nutritional benefit of having constant flow in one direction, versus random flow in alternate directions but I believe it definately impacts growth patters[/IMG]

Do you have a link to where Anthony is talking about this? I am curious to hear what he had to say on it. I've always thought alternating flow leads to the healthiest corals as it aids in gas exchange and waste removal.

Travis said:
Do you have a link to where Anthony is talking about this? I am curious to hear what he had to say on it. I've always thought alternating flow leads to the healthiest corals as it aids in gas exchange and waste removal.

I'm sorry Travis I just now saw your question..

The comments were not captured in an article though it may be somewhere. I am referencing a local club meeting where Anthony covered a large array of topics. He has that ability to pack allot into short periods of time :)

BTW: I actually have a few colonies that are growing too thick IMO.. They branch out but then the branches get really thick and fuse together. I think maybe I have a little too much velocity in the flow..

manogr - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I have a question for those with tables. I've heard they need to be in an area of higher flow. It is better to have the flow blow a little above the colony across it, or through the colony, under it?

depends on the type of flow Nikki. If you have a low velocity flow you can blow it on the colony, but I wouldn't blast it constantly. My experience is that you can blast the coral with a good amount of flow off and on via ocean motions, seaswirl, PHs on a timer, MBV, etc. This would be similar (keep your sence of humor) to the wave action on the reef. It will bring food in while removing slime and detritus without removing tissue. It also allows the food to remain long enough for the coral to make use of it.

Thanks Reed. I am trying to determine where I should put tables in my tank to give them the best chance, and I know flow is important. I also look at the shape of a table and see how it can become a detritus trap if not taken care of. I have my MBV set to change every 7 minutes, and I can change my locline, so I might set it to blow slightly above the colony. The Amp 3000 is blowing out of 4 outputs at a given time.

Good topic, Don!

Back