Flow and/or circulation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Reedman,
Thanks for the info. I looked at your photo gallery and I think I see what you did . It looks like you have an intake in the left hand corner of your tank and then ran the returns back to the top of the tank ending in loc line is that right? Do you have any more pics that show thos over the top of the tank closed loop? Thanks for the info,
Erik

Well in the process of killing of almost every coral in my tank I managed to remove my sand bed and redo the rock with flow as a primary concern. I have to rio seio's (800ish gph each) and two 1600 gph tunze in a 92 gal (3' 2' x 2') and of course my Mak4 return. when I did the rock I put a Sieo under the back right corner blowing across the back of the tank along the bottom. I also arranged the rock to split the flow and spread it out. in the front right corner I put a tunze on the bottom blowing across the bottom of the tank. on the left top front I put a sieo blowing back across and in the back I got the other tunze blowing back accross. I also have the Mak4 returning through six 1/6" nozzles at various depths in the tank.

I have found this give me a gentil but firm current in every location in the tank even inbetween the rocks and keeps all the junk suspended and rolled towards the overflow.

all together this gives me a 69+ X turnover rate that is spread evenly through out the tank. before the rock change and sand bed removal this same flow was concentrated in the top 1/3rd of the tank.

Erik,
Yes that's pretty much what I have going on in my tank. I can see if I can snap some more pics for you tomarrow, but it really is quite simple.

My display tank is 360g 96x33x26. The flow in the tank is 2000gph sump return, 20,000+gph via Tunze, and a 28g surge tank, 12 feet up, with all 2" pipe that cycles every 90 secs and dumps about 22g in less than 10 secs. Which is roughly the force of a 12,000+gph pump turning on every couple of minutes.

I still have some low flow spots in the tank. However I have not been able to actually pic where these spots are.

Dave B

Back