Flow for my 120g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

baker89

I'm starting up my first reef tank that is 5'L x 18"W x 24"H. I plan on keeping mostly LPS zoo's and softies maybe an anemone with a couple clowns, tangs, chromis, gobe and maybe a few other peaceful fish. My question is what do you guys recommend I use to create some nice flow in my tank.

I was thinking 3 Koralia Evolution 1400gph would do the trick, but thought I better ask what you guys think before I did anything.

Thanks!
Dennis Baker

I'm using 4 Tunze 6105's in my 120. I would suggest 4 of the Korallia's that way you could set up an alternating gyre flow for your system.

Nick

Thanks for the response! I went ahead and bought 3 of the 1400's. I'll probably add atleast 1 more to get the flow where I want it. Unfortunatly I cant attach them to the back wall :( the magnets wont hold, but the sides hold just fine. My return moves quite a bit of water as well. When I get home I'll check exactly how much. Also what is an alternating gyre flow?

Thanks again,
Dennis

A gyre is water flow moving in one direction like a race track. When the water flow moves in one direction for a lengthy enough time, you get more water moving overall. An alternating gyre is one that changes to the other direction at a set time.

Mine alternates every 6 hours. My Streams are located on the top corners (side glass), of my tank. Front right and rear left run same time moving water in a counter clockwise direction. Six hours later, it switches so that front left and rear right kick on, moving water in opposite direction,(clockwise).

Read more about gyres here: Feature Article: Water Flow is More Important for Corals Than Light, Part V — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Nick

Pm Peppie about your magnet problem. He made a bracket to mount the Koralia without having to worry about that pesky glass thickness thing.

Back