Flow for SPS in 75g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

After a year of messing around with 'beginner' corals, i'm planning an attempt at SPS corals. I'm all set (MH's, stable reef, high CA, etc.) except for flow. I have a 75g setup with 3 Maxi Jet powerheads (2-400's and 1-600). I have a mag 9.5 for a return pump that comes through two return pipes back into the main display tank. So I have decent flow.

What I'm wondering about is if I have enough flow and if it's random enough for SPS.

I was looking at getting some other kind of wave maker but really have no idea where to start. What should I consider wave maker wise in order to keep SPS?

Although wave maker devices are nice to have they are certainly not a requirement to keep SPS corals. Maxijets are good pumps to use. I would add a couple of 1200's and you should be good to go. I would point the smaller ones towards the surface and the 1200's pointing down. Maxijets can be used with a wave maker power strip.

HTH,
Kevin

http://www.currentsea.com/wavemaker.htm

you might try this link to wavemakers. i've never used them myself, so i can't vouge for their reliability; but the price is right.
i also agree with kevin that if you're going to use wavemakers and powerheads, maxijets are a good choice. but you might consider upgrading to the 1200's, and look into the mod kits on reefchilli's website (RF sponsor). i found the mod pretty easy to accomplish.

I've heard that once the mj has been modified that they cannot be used on a wavemaker. I have 2 mod. 1200's and had been unplugging them at night and now neither wants to work. Now I was told you're not to inplug them much less use them on a wavemaker.

I think the best flow you could do in a 75 would be a stream 6060 on a wavysea+ doing a 180 in the middle. $400 ish.

thats what I'm thinking the problem is, lizardarm. or atleast what I've been reading and told.

i wonder if it's just the extra effort required to start the larger props that is causing the MJs to go south.

IME, the modded MJs have issues with restarts very similar to the Seio pumps. The impeller in unmodded MJs can turn either direction and produce flow, while the modded MJs have to turn the prop in the right direction to produce flow, otherwise it produces reverse flow...thus the need for that prop stopper and the bit of noise on startup.

I've busted 2 prop stoppers in 1 of my modded MJs due to the prop hitting the stopper. I am using the acryllic rod that came with the kit from mjmods.com. Something a little less brittle than acryllic would probably make a better stopper... If used with a wavemaker, the noise on startup and potential for broken prop stopper I think would be the main concerns.

hth,
rob

good input rob.
have you been impressed with the flow that you're getting out of the modded MJs?
i've modded one and only run it in a five gallon bucket so far. there was definately an increase in flow, but it's hard to tell what it'll be like once it's in my aquarium.

so many choices. Makes me wish i'd a got an acrylic tank and drilled a closed loop into it.

I wonder if I could just get a Tunze stream powerhead and put it on a timer on one side of the tank.

If you want a closed loop you can run manifolds over the top edges. search calfo manifold and You will see pics. on a 75 a closed loop with a scwd would be a good start for most coral. and then maybe a couple maxistreams. this would be a less expensive way.

good input rob.
have you been impressed with the flow that you're getting out of the modded MJs?
i've modded one and only run it in a five gallon bucket so far. there was definately an increase in flow, but it's hard to tell what it'll be like once it's in my aquarium.

Yeah, I'm actually very impressed with the flow of the Maximods. I am running 2 of them (maximod 1200s) in my 90g along with 2 seio 1100's. These seem to put out much more flow than the 1100s.

I was very impressed with my 2 1200 mods before they quit running. Having a 120g sps tank they created as much flow as I needed besides my returns. That was why I was unplugging them at nighttime and only running 2 1200 unmodded.

They were moving a tiny bit of sand even, not near enough to worry about. They made that much flow.

I've heard that once the mj has been modified that they cannot be used on a wavemaker. I have 2 mod. 1200's and had been unplugging them at night and now neither wants to work. Now I was told you're not to inplug them much less use them on a wavemaker.

Hey guys: in addition to mjmods.com, a maximod kit can be found from http://www.oceanflo.com/

The kit from oceanflo is quite a bit more expensive than mjmods.com, but it appears to be nicer quality. In addition, it looks like you get a cool swivel mounting bracket. But, the main thing I noticed was that they provide a full warranty, including wavemaker use: http://www.oceanflo.com/warranty.asp

I didn't see a length of the warranty, so that's something you might want to double check before ordering.

Just another option to consider ;)

After a year of messing around with 'beginner' corals, i'm planning an attempt at SPS corals. I'm all set (MH's, stable reef, high CA, etc.) except for flow. I have a 75g setup with 3 Maxi Jet powerheads (2-400's and 1-600). I have a mag 9.5 for a return pump that comes through two return pipes back into the main display tank. So I have decent flow.

What I'm wondering about is if I have enough flow and if it's random enough for SPS.

I was looking at getting some other kind of wave maker but really have no idea where to start. What should I consider wave maker wise in order to keep SPS?

I am glad I found this post, as this is the exact thing I am doing. I have already upgraded my 75(6 year old tank) to a 125 with a 55g sump below, upgraded to a Euro-Reef rs135, and picked up a 2x 250 PFO MH setup to add to my existing 2x 175 PFO MH setup:cool: I gave up my tonga yellow leather and my finger leather:( but oh well. The last thing is the flow. My sump returns provide around 1200-1500 GPH but thats it. I was thinking of adding 1 large return pump and an overflow to supply the sump with more water so the overflows do not get overworked. I would then have a large return line that breaks into about ten very small lines fed to the top front and rear of the tank.(5 in the front facing towards the bottom back & the other 5 facing the bottom front of the tank...obviously across the length of the tank) This should take care of flow. Plus by using small clear tubes this eliminates unsightly power heads in the tank.

MH

I would then have a large return line that breaks into about ten very small lines fed to the top front and rear of the tank.(5 in the front facing towards the bottom back & the other 5 facing the bottom front of the tank...obviously across the length of the tank) This should take care of flow. Plus by using small clear tubes this eliminates unsightly power heads in the tank.

MH

Welcome to the forum first of.

This 10 small lines seems complicated, I say if you have a 1" return from the sump or in a closed loop you cam probably have 3-4 1/2" outlets on the top of the tank, I would not do more because you would loose a lot of velocity on the water outlet.

Back