Flow for SPS in 75g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Welcome to the forum first of.

This 10 small lines seems complicated, I say if you have a 1" return from the sump or in a closed loop you cam probably have 3-4 1/2" outlets on the top of the tank, I would not do more because you would loose a lot of velocity on the water outlet.

Thanks for the welcome. I have thought about the loss of flow and would compensate with a 1 size larger then needed pump. It will be interesting to say the least. If that didn't work I do have another idea, but will wait to see. Have you decided on what you will do?

MH

I can't offer much advise on wehther this would work well b/c I haven't seen it before. It certainly sounds interesting.

one thing though... keep in mind the clear tubes you'll be using won't stay clear forever as they build w/ detrius, coraline, & other deposits. Also, if they will have lights shining on them at all, your likely to see some algae growing in there too.. Just wanted to make sure you didn't overlook this

i wonder if it's just the extra effort required to start the larger props that is causing the MJs to go south.

I've been using 3 MJ 9's on my 75 gal with no problem. They are hooked up to Reef Fanatics Wavemaker--which works wonderfully, by the way--the only complaint is that the light sensor is a bit too sensitive. Also of note to the power conscious--the MJ 12's push 295 gph but draw 20 watts, while the MJ 9's move 230 gph but only draw 8.5 watts. Food for thought!:idea:

After a year of messing around with 'beginner' corals, i'm planning an attempt at SPS corals. I'm all set (MH's, stable reef, high CA, etc.) except for flow. I have a 75g setup with 3 Maxi Jet powerheads (2-400's and 1-600). I have a mag 9.5 for a return pump that comes through two return pipes back into the main display tank. So I have decent flow.

What I'm wondering about is if I have enough flow and if it's random enough for SPS.

I was looking at getting some other kind of wave maker but really have no idea where to start. What should I consider wave maker wise in order to keep SPS?

this is just my .02, But unless you plan on putting colonies in instead of frags you may want to add a couple of 1200s. Otherwise if your going with aquacultured frags your flow should be fine until they grow in. If you set up your power heads so that the flow crosses itself that will cause random flow. I modded 2 mj 400s, probably 5-600gph ea., they are opposite of each other and work very well. I also have a closed loop, 900gph, and my return is only 300gph. I have the slow return which goes into the skimmer section of sump. This allows the skimmer to turn over the volume of water coming in at a more effecient rate. Also something to consider is less turbulence in the sump, which equals less micro bubbles. Unless you have a large sump with double bubble traps to remove the bubbles they will possibly end up in you tank.

Wave makers are cool, nice, but not necessary to have a successful sps tank. Flow, water clarity/quality/low nutrient, perimeters and good skimming along with good husbandary/maintance is what is necessary.

Hey I'm new here, but thought I'd add my .02 in

Happy Reefing

Back