Flow options.... Advise please???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

My current setup is this:

90 gallon acyrlic tank 2'x3' barebottom
One overflow on a 2' end (so the tanks three sided)
My return pump is a mag 9.5

My ONLY return flow is a spray bar running across the bottom of the tank, it comes out of the overflow at the bottom and runs across the bottom almost all the way to the other side. (yes it is plumbed so it the pump fails, the tank won't train)

The rock is built over the top of the spray bar and does a pretty good job knocking out detritus.

My only flow in the tank is to koralia 4's....

I want to add aditional flow as I am almost all SPS.

Heres my ideas, give me some advice please:)

1. Keep the two k-4's and put them on a timer and add this:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=IC9111
(up to 3000 gallons per hour, I figured that wide open and low in the tank it would still generate enough flow up high, kinda like a blender)

2. Ditch the K-4's and do a closed loop. I would be able to afford anything to alternate current, so it would basically be four returns running continous flow evenly.

3. Ditch the k-4's and get a seio timer and two 2600's They are rated for 2600 gph and in opposite corners with a timer could really make some waves.

My wife gave me the OK for about 350-400 bucks so let me know what options best or, if there is a better one.

Thanks for looking, sorry the thread is so LOOOONNNG:p

Last edited:
Tough call on that one, i would go with a Tunze option, lil more GPH and very adaptable for future upgrades. Youll have to spend a lil more, just bring home a rose and some candys for the wife! lol

I wouldn't put the koralias on a timer. Mine have the white shaft on them, and on start up flex around, sometimes jamming and popping my gfci.

I don't know if the other shafts have this problem.

i dont know where you geting 800 bucks... try like 250
what size tank is this?

2 6060's or 2 6080's brand new will run less then 350

If spending a ton of money is an issue, I'd go with the Seio's...Can't beat the price for what you get. Just my 2 cents though :)

I love the controlers for the tunze! very nice, and the way to go! Think of the future lol you'll be happy you did.

I have my koralia k1s on a timer I never have any problems and the guy I got it form had it on a timer b4 me and nevr have any issues. Although mines have the steel shaft so.

If you can afford it Id go with the Vortech, they are in the process of coming out with a controller for it...I'll let you know how I like the controller when I get it. I have the Vortech pump on my 75 and I have it turned down to 3/4 or less output..it moves a ton of water

IMO, If your not opting to spend the big bucks, I'd not get a Tunze or any type of Ph inside the tank, being acrylic you can either drill it or If you can't do that then over the top manifold CL, Put a real centrifugal pump on it & get very reliable flow from all directions. This is based on money being available as mentioned. Through my experience you can't beat the flow you will get, controlled or not It will be very nice & affordable, look into about a 4K GPH pump like Sequence or Ampmaster.

hmmm... I like the CL idea. I was just concerned about having alternating flow, to keep detritus up in the water columb. I was thinking with the vortex, even without a wave controller, it would be so stong of flow it wouldnt allow for dead spots.

Ive read that the even cause undercurrent

You DO know the SEIO controller will ramp both SEIO pumps up and down at the same time right? So if your goal is alternating flow, this aint it :)

Personally though I think controllers and alternating flow control are kinda overrated. Better to have the pumps running full time than turn on and off every few minutes.

Back