Flow rate into sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SFEERO

Ok, so I set up my 90 gallon that has a pre-drilled overflow. I have an Aqueon Proflex Sump Model 3 set up as a refugium in the middle stage of the sump. My flow is way too high coming into the sump, so much so that water is flowing over the top of the first stage. My return pump is rated at about 900 gph I believe. Is this a pump issue (too strong) or am I doing something wrong? 3rd stage I have my return and skimmer, middle is my refugium. I have heard that installing a valve to slow the output from the return pump is a bad idea. Also, almost on a daily basis my 3rd stage gets so low the pump is almost exposed to air, whereas the first stage is still overflowing. Please help ASAP, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, in my overflow I have a Megaflow 2. Help....

The water will only come out of the aquarium as fast as the pump puts it in. Is the water supposed to flow under the wall on the first stage? The chamber that houses the return pump is the only place you will see your water loss from evaporation, if you had no walls in your sump, the whole level would drop, if you had two chambers, just the side with the return pump would drop.

A good option to slow the return pump if you wanted is put a T in the line just above the pump and put the valve on the line that returns water to the sump, that way you aren't straining the return pump, it just controls how much water gets put straight back into the sump

You can safely add a valve to reduce out-flow from most any pump, just not the intake creating a vacuum. Is there any kind of sponge/screen separating the 1st from the 2nd chamber between baffles that could be removed to increase flow ??? I run approx 960gpm through my 40g sump/fuge without any issues. Chaeto, Caulerpa and a HUGE pod population. As long as your overflow can safely handle that flow-rate I'd find a way to get water to the return section.

Todd

The first stage flows over, not under. What about a smaller pump? All of the plumbing may cause more of an issue in the end. Putting a valve I would think might over work the pump, causing more heat, more energy loss/inefficiency. Any other thoughts?

Yes, on most sump configurations from the 1st chamber it will flow over a baffle then under another (bubble trap) often containing a sponge/screen in space in between to further remove bubbles from skimmers and inflow. As I stated nearly all pumps can safely be throttled back by restricting outlet side of pump. Like Colin suggested you can also install a 'T' and divert some of the flow back into sump or even better yet through a Phosphate/media Reactor. Do you have any pics of your sump as is ??? Which exact model of return pump are yoou running also ? We would more easily be able help.

Todd

I ran a pump with a T on it for 2 years, it worked great. You wouldn't be over working the pump with a T because the valve is not on the main line going to your actual return, the T simply diverts water, and you basically are just controlling how much water goes up vs out with the valve. If you were to close the valve off completely it would be exactly the same as you have it now because the water can only go up, if you opened it completely you would have most of the water go right back into your sump and almost none up to the tank. I will take a picture of mine when i get home so you can see exactly what I'm talking about, it is a little hard to describe =)

Got that photo yet? Also if I T the return line, should the flow coming out of the T go directly back into the 3rd stage, or into the refugium (2nd stage)?

Anyone have photos that they can share? Would be much appreciated. I'm either going to do what Colin and TJ suggest, or get a pump with lower gph which could also hopefully solve the problem.

Here's the picture, couldn't remember where i put this thing... Hah

download.jpg

It just screws into the outlet of the pump.

So that black piece sticking out from the T, is that a flow restricting "switch" on top? I have vinyl tubing in my return, don't know how that PVC T would work in mine.

Correct, the black piece is the valve. Lowes or hd sell barbed t's and threaded barbed fittings that will screw into a threaded t.

So here is what I am talking about as far as too much flow into the first stage of my sump. You can see that there is water flowing over the baffle as well as where it is supposed to be flowing out.............

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    26.9 KB
The water coming from the t in my sump just came out right above the pump. So it stayed in the return pump chamber. I didn't attach anything to the valve.

Mine's T'd off going to a slit in the pipe down my ATS and into the fuge causing the fuge to overflow back into the return section. Balancing your return to your pump can be a bit of a trick.

Yeah this seems to be my only issue.....so far. Got the water up to par, LR, started adding fish, snails, crabs. Just wish I can resolve this darn sump/pump/flow issue. I don't have an ATS, I have a MTS...manual topoff system. I was thinking about putting the T in, and having the water from the T flow back into the refugium, which in turn would flow back into stage 3. I have vinyl tubing for my return line, how do you go about plumbing vinyl tubing into a hard PVC T?

Back