Flow rate

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Almondsaz

I am setting up a 125 and it is 72x18x23 and the sump is 48x15x20. I am trying to determine what the right flow is for the new tank and I saw a long time ago a calculator that I think talked to adding the water volume of the tank and sump and multiplying by a factor...but I can't find the calculator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scooterman: thank you for the head loss calculator. I am trying to figure out what size pump I need to get for my new system. I am new to this external pump idea. I haven't set up the plumbing yet, but it will be very basic. Is there any sort of rule of thumb for what size pump I would need? Thanks

http://reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

http://reefcentral.com/calc/vol.php

On my 125 I had a sequence Uno series, it was a little much for the tank as for as amount of water it pushed, sound & heat. I then got an Eheim 1262 (900gph) in the sump, dead silent, no heat & works well.
External, pumps all will have some issues to deal with but they also have a lot of good reasons to use also. Without knowing your drain size, usually I'd suggest for a tank that size around 900 to 1200 gph pump. Now for manufacture names, I can't say which is best as I know they all have either sound or heat issues. Off my head, Eheim, Sequence, Dolphin, Panworld, Iwaki to name a few.

I have a little giant that came with the aquarium when I bought it but I was looking to replace it with an Eheim 1262. That is uncanny that you mention you have one. I was going to plug the end of the sump and install it as an in-sump pump. All that I have read is very positive. Thanks for the input.

I have a Tunze 6055 and 6045 that I will be using for flow within the tank itself. This will provide 2642 gph of flow in the tank. Since that is a turnover of ~22x per hour I think that is fine.

honestly,by what youve said,id just go with a mag pump,fairly cheap,fairly quiet,and in a tank that size you shouldnt have to worry much about heat if you have the tunze pumps.i use a mag 9.5 on my 75 and dont have an issue with heat...or noise.

i think any mag from 5 to a 9.5 would work fine unless you want something specific,more top of the line.mines been running 24/7 for over 2 years now with no complaints.....although my tank makes a little noise,but its in a room that it doesnt matter.

just my thoughts.

A dart is very quiet and will pump 3800 gph. After accounting for head loss... maybe 3300 gph. Now that is probably still too much but you can tune it back to around 1500 gph with a simple ball valve. And, if you ever need more flow... like for a chiller or something... it'll be there waiting for you.

We just replaced an external Iwaki with an Eheim 1262 in the sump a few weeks ago, the heat hasn't been noticable and the noise difference is awesome. We have been very pleased with the Eheim and will definitely buy another when another pump is needed for anything.

Last edited:
I received my 1262 from Drs Foster and Smith today and hopefully next weekend get to start the setup. Have to build the stand starting Monday.

Back