Flower Pots...Gonipora...Under halides?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cavyroo

BAM! BAM! Goes the blenny
What do you all think? Think it would get fried? Friend as a 125 tank with a halide and compacts. ( not sure of wattage exactly..something like 175 is coming to mind..but not sure)

My first thought is yes. The book claims lightning needs are 4-9..9 being high light. BUt some research online says they like med light and on the bottom of tank. That is have what done well in my tank..

what ya think? We need more thoughts.

thanks

I have a purple goni and it hates the halides loves the bottom. I rescaped it's aquarium once and moved it just a weeeee bit higher, it didn't fully extend after 2 weeks... moved it back to it's original spot, full extension in about 20 minutes.. 4 VHOs 2 white 2 blue 26 inches from bulbs to bottom...
ooops sorry didn't see that this wasn't general forum

Last edited:
cavyroo said:
What do you all think? Think it would get fried?

If it is the common "green" goniopora, it needs to be at least 2 feet (24 inches) or more away from the 175w mh bulb and preferably not directly underneath it either.

I have a red goni colony under 250W DE 20ks and it is doing great and has been growing for well over three years.

It has also dropped off calcarious nodules that I have given to some friends and all of them are also running MH and the goni's are doing great.

They are directly under the bulbs in my tank and slightly off center in the others. No problems to report from here.

Kip

Its hard to say unless you name thje species... some occur in clear brigh twaters on hard substrates... others occur as free-living specimens at depth or shallow but diffused by turbid niches (muddy lagoons even... among grasses).

That said... most all can be slowly acclimated to typical aquarium lighting including MHs.

FWIW... I kept my colonies in my greenhouse in shallow pools supplemented with a brigh 20k K halide. Over five years and dropping satellites monthly. The real key to my success with them (IMO) aside form the natural sunlight was the keeping of this colony in a nutrient rich 240 gall refugium packed with seagrasses. The species was stokesi.

i have a really nice goni and it was under fluros for 2 years been under and 400wat 14'000 k blub for 4-5 months and loving it my dkh level is low and have bad nitrates and its booming hasnt dropped any satilites but if i can increase the dkh then maybe never know
i have been told that they tend to do well in poor conditions
mine has always been close to top of water have several more and have lost 1 before had been slightly eaton by an angle and slowly died out
all imo but love is coral and heard it is hardest to care for

Back