Flowerpot and clown

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

robharold

How do I go about ggetting my clown away from my flowerpot? The clown loves it but the coral does not and will not open up for anything b/c of the clowns constant affections. I don't want to lose the coral.

Thanks

Put some sort of cage (like a strawberry container or something with holes that'll let the water flow through) over the coral until the anemonefish decide to move on to softer pastures.

I tried both. Neither one worked. My flower pot is now gone

how about an eggcrate cube thingy so it covers the whole thing , it won't look pretty but at least the clowns won't be able to get in

That might have worked out but in the end the clown did to much damage and it slow died out. It was kind of funny when it was covered and protected the clown would ignore it. So I would think its moved one a forgot about. Remove the protective covering. Clown would go right back in it. I almost removed the clown but the damage was to much for the goni to recover.

Here's a picture when it was in good shape.
showphoto.php

How long did you have it? The reason I ask is that it may not really be the clown's fault. Goni's in general and the greens in particular have a pretty horrible track record in captivity. I lost one myself. :(

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I had it a little over a year, but that picture I linked to was just before the clown decided it was going to try and host in it. It would dive bomb it over and over again. It probably would of been fine, but the clown I think was a little to aggressive. Of course I may of contributed to it also. I was trying to move it around here and there to get the clown to ignore it. But nothing worked. So between me trying to protect it and the clown trying to host, it was probably a combination of things that caused it's demise. It stinks but sometime you never know how things are going to react or what a fish might do.

IE: I have a multi-barred angel that took a liking to the polyp's on a Pocillopora . Nipped it clean before I could figure out what was going on. To cool of a fish to remove so I live with. No more Pocillopora for me.

If you add an anemone, & relocate the flowerpot youmay have better luck, either that or relocate the flowerpot in a QT or somewhere else until the clown finds a new home, save the coral.

An anemone is not an option for me. I don't want to have to move stuff aropund every time it decides to move.

Any suggestions for really good alternate hosts for Maroon clowns?

If you add an anemone, & relocate the flowerpot youmay have better luck, either that or relocate the flowerpot in a QT or somewhere else until the clown finds a new home, save the coral.

Scooter, I did add anemone, the clown still hasn't given it the time of day (6 months). It just ignores it.

Scooter, I did add anemone, the clown still hasn't given it the time of day (6 months). It just ignores it.

it took a year and a half for my clown to host my long tentacle anemone and i wasn't to happy about it because she stinking bite some of the tentacles :doubt: , now it's healing all over again :rolleyes:

Back