Fluorescent Corals Under Moon Light?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

iloveseaturtles

I recently purchased a 50gal reef tank off of Craigslist, and I'll be getting it on the 30th :whoo: One of the corals in it glowed under the moon light. I thought it was really cool, so I decided I wanted more. The problem is this, though: I don't know of any fluorescent corals! So if any of you guys have any experience with corals that glow under moon light, please share! And pics of them would be appreciated. Also, are moon lights the same thing as actinic lights? Because I've found a few things about corals glowing under those, but none of specific "moon" lights. Thanks so much!

in my experience, depending on a corals color, many have the apperance that they are glowing under blue light, much like a white t-shirt under a black light. I have seen this more with corals that are green in color than any other color coral. This is not the coral actually glowing. Now there are bio-luminescent plankton in the ocean that create their own light when disturbed by the movement of the water and current but I have never heard of this in corals.

Back