fluval 404 BUBBLES

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tat2z_21

tat2z_21
Well here is another tragedy. My 404 is shooting bubbles out spuratically and causing a major headache for myself. I have done everything from leak checking the container to leak checking the lines under pressure. No leaks of any kind. I was thinking if there could be some checmical reaction happening in there. Is this something I should worry about. It does not happen all of the time just every now and then. If anyone has dealt with this before please offer a person with no tylenol some help. And I know the introduction of bubbles to the tank could be harmful for various creatures that are in my small part of the reef. That is why I need to get this fixed. Thank you guys again for being there.

Somebody out there has had to have had this situation or a similar one. If there is anyone out there that can give me any information it would be great.

have you taken it apart and checked the impeller. I had one break and still worked but gave off the bubbles. also check all the seals in the lid for the impeller. hope this helps.

I took the top apart and inspected the impeller, cleaned it up and it looked fine. No blades broken or missing. Now my second question do I even really need this I have a 30 gallon sump/refugium with my skimmer in it. Do I really need the mechanical filtration along with it. I have probably about a puond of chaeto and about 4 pounds of LR in the refugium with an assortment of critters. So do I even need the fluval.

I have had this problem before too. Its the distance from the tank if it too far you get bubbles. Also check your connentions, somewhere you are letting air in.

So would you say it would be a good Idea to just unplug let stand and see after a while what my parameters go to. I do know that I am running purigen through it and would like to keep using so I could probably be able to wedge the purigen where I have my pre filter in my sump. Would that work?

the only time i used my fluval was for circulation. very very rarely did i ever use it got mechanical. i used it empty. i have since gone to an acrylic tank with closed loop.

Oh you close loopers out there always pushing your loopage around. Just playing I wish I had an acrylic tank so I to could be a little loopy also. I hear it is very efficient in every way.

fluval

i have a fluval fx5 and every 12 hours turns it self off and gets rid of any bubbles in the canister, yours could be a build up of bubbles inside the canister and just blows them out when they reach the top of your canister.according to the stats of my fx5 its normal.:) i also have a 404 just for nitrate and phosphate remover 24/7 and have no problems with it.

Last edited:
So how do you convert your 404 to a phosphate nitrate remover. Because I am currently running the 404 in addition to a 30 gallon refugiums/sump. I am under the impression that I do not need the 404 and could just go with the sump and it would work good. But if I could use the equipment I currently have to help with other things I would like to be able to do that.

I only use the 404 for this because it works just the same as a reactor i stick the nitrate and phophate remover into bags and place them into the chambers and the water runs through it and does the job for me and saves me the cost of a reactor the fx5 is the best filter i have ever bought its that good my skimmer does less work.mark

Back