Fluval Spec, 2 Gallons Total.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looking better every time I log on.
How will you collect the skimmate at the top of your reactor tube? I think I am missing something on your design.
I like your ATO. I set mine up on a timer. I comes on every 4 hours for 1 min. So if both of the float switches were to fail, I would only pump 1 min worth of water into the tank. Kinda like a back up to my back up.

Looking better every time I log on.
How will you collect the skimmate at the top of your reactor tube? I think I am missing something on your design.
I like your ATO. I set mine up on a timer. I comes on every 4 hours for 1 min. So if both of the float switches were to fail, I would only pump 1 min worth of water into the tank. Kinda like a back up to my back up.

Yep I had considered doing the timer thing with the ATO as well. The skimmate actually will exit out the top side opening into a remote container. If you check out YouTube you can see some Glazer skimmers in action, very cool, simple and effective design.

i like the new additions to the tank, how did you make the auto top off? do you have pictures and instructions?:)

Really simple idea. Float switch wired into a battery powered air pump. When the pump triggers it pumps air into a container. The container must have another line in it that runs from the bottom and out to the tank or sump. When the air pump pushes air into the container the container is forced to remove something to replace the volume that the air pump is putting into the container and that something is the water in the container.

My new little friend.

IMG_74161280x853.jpg

Are you going to have another tank to keep startfish to feed your shrimp?
As I understand they have a specific food source. Is that so?
I really like the HS. How are you going to feed them? How much will it coast to feed per month?
Your tank is looking great!!

Its funny you got a harlequin, im in the process of making an AIO 20 Long and im going to put harlequin in the display and chocolate chips in the refugium:) currently siliconing the pieces in:p

Are you going to have another tank to keep startfish to feed your shrimp?
As I understand they have a specific food source. Is that so?
I really like the HS. How are you going to feed them? How much will it coast to feed per month?
Your tank is looking great!!

Well currently he is tiny and he is eating asterinas that are in my 40 breeder reef. LFS has chocolate chip starfish for $4.99 so I'll go that route once he gets bigger. I'm also trying to get a female harlequin through that store. I have only had him for a few days but he has eaten 2 asterina starfish so far.

Its funny you got a harlequin, im in the process of making an AIO 20 Long and im going to put harlequin in the display and chocolate chips in the refugium:) currently siliconing the pieces in:p

Yeah I'm thinking this tank will be mostly harlequin shrimp and porcelain crabs, the fish I rarely see and may relocate him to another tank eventually.

is he a little baby? and yeah if hes tiny and is only surviving off of asterina starfish than it wouldn't be smart to get chocolate chips yet. The reason being is the chocolate chip star will rot before he eats it all. So waiting for a female would be the smartest idea so you dont destroy your tank:)

So I ordered a little nano cleaning crew for my 2 gallon Fluval Spec and this is the package I ordered:

Quick Crew (2.5, 3g JBJ, other Picos)
Price: $13.61

Shipped for free via Priority Mail you will get:

2 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

1 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

2 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

3 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

What he gave me though was:

40+ dwarf ceriths lol
9 Nassarius
4 regular ceriths
4 nerites

I also ordered 3 black mangrove seeds and he gave me 4.

Great guy! thanks ReefCleaners!

I have to put some of these in the 40 since I think they would certainly starve in the 2 gallon lol. It is a rare thing these days to get more for your money so I applaud this company and will definitely do more business with them.

Back