For those of you that want Xenia.....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My tank, smaller one i started with, looked like that, but with anthelia. I took it out and got store credit for it at the lfs. My wife stuck some xenia in my 215. It grew REALLY good. I took it out last month and put it in the fuge. I had it growing on the overflows and some of the rockwork. I took it off the rock because it was starting to shadow my monti.

Thats awesome lol. I just had to pull out a bunch of kenya and xenia out of my tank. When you rip it off the rock 90% of the time for me it comes back and over time if left non-pruned it becomes a pest.

I have xenia, pom pom xenia and anthelia and have had for over a year. Not really get out of hand as of yet. Now, since I have said that, watch it go crazy.

We had some Xenia in our 75 at the beginning. Loved to watch it, didn't take over too bad, big chunks of it melted away a time or two for unknown reasons, guess to keep itself in check. We just moved other directions in the coral world and gave away all of ours.
anthelia on the other hand.... Took over super quick, within a few months. When we upgraded we ended up taking out and killing a bunch of live rock that had anthelia on it. Hope to never see that stuff in our tank again.

I still have the blue xenia in one of my tanks. For me, its a must have in a softy tank. It along with leathers and other soft coral make a beautiful tank.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

You can have a tank full and then they will just melt away in a week or two, no one know why, had it happen about a couple of years ago, waited 6 months, started with a micro frag and now the tank is full again, strange corals

I find the pulsing xenia mesmerizing and have had pretty decent luck keeping it contained, but I'm planning my next tank and I'm not sure I'll add any unless I can put it on a rock that's a decent distance from other rock, sides of the tank, etc. What I have now is on one large rock but it's near other rocks and to keep it under control I have to pull off chunks that have jumped over to a different rock.

I have had no luck with xenia
I decided to try a 3rd time, now its growing like crazy! Good thing i placed where it is easily accessible to prune if needed.

Back