forgot to rinse carbon!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

taichimaster

I just recently changed my carbon and my mind was somewhere else. anyhow, i forgot to rinse out the carbon and so when I started up the pump, black water was going through my sump. Is this something I need to really worry about?

I agree with returnofsid or get/borrow a canister filter to filter it out. In the past I have dumbied up when not paying attenion using PAC (Powdered Activated Caron) and it turned the whole tank jet black to where you could not see anything in the tank and all was well but I did filter it out.

Boomer,

While were on the subject of carbon dust. Does carbon go bad (get soft)after a couple of years. Ive got some black diamond (unopened) I pulled out of the attic. I used it in my normal method in the media bag. The stuff is just falling apart and turning to dust filling the skimmer. In three days two thirds of the bag was turned to dust.

Thanks
Don

It may Don if it is not 100 % sealed and can pick up moisture or where gas can diffuse into it. But I have never seen it or heard of it. Maybe you just got a bad container of it. Is the BD getting hit with crap loads of ozone ?

I have some new GAC that is almost 20 years old. I'm looking at it now. I have opened these containers many times and they are still prefect. Mine are all in plastic screw top containers like BD. And I have all forms of GAC, coarse, fine, Lignite, CC, ROW (ROX), Bitum, acid washed, not acid washed and from Norit, Calgon and Barnebey & Sutcliffe ( an importer and have not been around for almost 15 years, bought out by Calgon) and AtoChem/Cecarbon ( a USA manufacture, also not around for 15 years, bought out by Norit). I pulled out a few grains from a few and just ran a test on hardness with a small Mortar & Pestle and they are fine, nice and crisp.

It may Don if it is not 100 % sealed and can pick up moisture or where gas can diffuse into it. But I have never seen it or heard of it. Maybe you just got a bad container of it. Is the BD getting hit with crap loads of ozone ?

I have some new GAC that is almost 20 years old. I'm looking at it now. I have opened these containers many times and they are still prefect. Mine are all in plastic screw top containers like BD. And I have all forms of GAC, coarse, fine, Lignite, CC, ROW (ROX), Bitum, acid washed, not acid washed and from Norit, Calgon and Barnebey & Sutcliffe ( an importer and have not been around for almost 15 years, bought out by Calgon) and AtoChem/Cecarbon ( a USA manufacture, also not around for 15 years, bought out by Norit). I pulled out a few grains from a few and just ran a test on hardness with a small Mortar & Pestle and they are fine, nice and crisp.

Not running much O3 right now. It was a brand new sealed container, i think 4 years old. There is a bunch of flow but not enough to do this to TFG's or Rox. I guess I'll just write it off as defective.

Don

I just cleaned my canister (I know... bad thing) It has been well over 2 months and I had forgotten that I had put rubble rock in instead of carbon. I was not home or well enough (motorcycle accident) to test the water or document anything. I have noticed that the amount of growth on my frogspawn and my Orange Monti cap have been great. But my Favia and Pocillipora not so much. I was wondering if running the rubble rock in the filter instead of the carbon would increase the stable calcium kinda like a reactor? And has anyone done this and actually did test to see how the parameters changed?

I just cleaned my canister (I know... bad thing) It has been well over 2 months and I had forgotten that I had put rubble rock in instead of carbon. I was not home or well enough (motorcycle accident) to test the water or document anything. I have noticed that the amount of growth on my frogspawn and my Orange Monti cap have been great. But my Favia and Pocillipora not so much. I was wondering if running the rubble rock in the filter instead of the carbon would increase the stable calcium kinda like a reactor? And has anyone done this and actually did test to see how the parameters changed?

It wont affect ca, alk or mg if those are the parameters your talking about. It may affect nitrates.

Don

Not at all? The amount of growth is something that I have tried to get by supplimenting the water with chemicals... and For 2 or more months of not adding anything my frogspawn went from 4-5 heads to 10-15. Just trying to figure my tank out... Getting back into the tank since being underway, moving and the accident. Thanks for you help.

Not at all? The amount of growth is something that I have tried to get by supplimenting the water with chemicals... and For 2 or more months of not adding anything my frogspawn went from 4-5 heads to 10-15. Just trying to figure my tank out... Getting back into the tank since being underway, moving and the accident. Thanks for you help.

Nope but the nutrients either more or less will affect growth. To have the rubble dissolve you would have to add c02 or slow the flow down to almost nothing.

Don

Back