Foster & Smith

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pitmam01

Blondie911
Anybody use Dr.s Foster and Smith to order coral or fish?? Was wondering what the quality of the items were when they arrived??

:cool:

I have used them for hard goods and it was fine. However there is another major player in Orange county ca that has good prices and alot closer for you. They are also a sponsor here. Marinedepotlive.com

They deliver salt quite cheap at times . Custom aquatic is good.
Have you tried barrier reef ?

No, I haven't ordered anything online yet. I usually go to my local guy but it seems the online stores have a better selection of corals.

They deliver salt quite cheap at times . Custom aquatic is good.
Have you tried barrier reef ?

foster and smith has the absolute best customer service, they will back you up with any problems and they have great livestock too, corals always come larger then they say....

I would also recomend barrierreef.com for livestock they have amazing corals and some very rare ones too...

Matt

I have ordered live stock from them and have never been disappointed in the quality of what I bought. Plus the 14 day guarantee, I had a Carpet die a couple of weeks after I got it and even though it was a couple of days outside of 14 they still took care of it.

Foster Smith was strictly dry goods until they bought FlyingFish.com about 4 years ago, Flying fish was a great company to deal with both quality and service wise, I spent a lot of money with them, I have seen no change since Foster Smith took them over, if anything they have improved.

Foster Smith was strictly dry goods until they bought FlyingFish.com about 4 years ago, Flying fish was a great company to deal with both quality and service wise, I spent a lot of money with them, I have seen no change since Foster Smith took them over, if anything they have improved.

They had a small live department when they were still Pet Warehouse, but it wasn't very good and you had to spend $79.99 minimum for them to ship.

I used them strictly for dry goods and I havent ever had anything ship broken or damaged. They'll back you up with about anything and I've made quite a few returns on items I didn't think were good quality, like rio pumps that I had bought.

LiveAquaria is a place I never worry about ordering sps frags from. Kevin is the director and packs my frags and they have never arrived in any but great health. The frags are alway much larger than advertised. If anything is not up to par they will give you credit. The frags I have gotten are 30 day guaranteed. You can't beat that..

I have purchased a large SPS and it arrived in perfect health and is exactly the piece in the photo. I Highly recommend them. Professional & nicely packaged prize piece.......you cant go wrong.

I purchased several fish from them over the last 3 yrs, the last one was a labout wrasse and it was excellent quality..very healthy with good color..I would not hesistate to purchase from them again.

Kirk

WOW!! Great responses regarding this companies livestock. I will have to consider them for myself in the future.... I did however, buy some of my LR in bulk from them when I set up my tank. I definately got what I paid for, the fiji slect was good and the base rock was exactly that. I would use them again.

Last edited:
I've ordered both livestock and drygoods from them. ZERO issues. Their customer service has always been fantastic, and they have been more than flexible in their shipping to accomodate my strange, ever changing work schedule.
I've ordered fish, and inverts, (anemone's) through them, and dont have anything but good things to say about them.

Only other place I cant reccomend enough is www.phishybusiness.com.
I've ordered livestock though them several times, and never been disappointed.

Nick

Quick topic shift:

Pitmam, which stores are you frequenting? A couple of the larger stores in the area have been running really slim lately. This industry's been real tough business lately. Also, in the last 8 months, two other stores have opened up. Three Seas is at Ashlan and Fowler, and TheFishStore is at Willow and Nees. Since both are new, livestock can be either abundant or empty, depending on when you show up, but they may be worth a look. If you're into a little more travel, my favorite store is The Ultimate Aquarium in Visalia. The owner still hand picks every animal directly from the wholesalers, and consistently has the healthiest livestock I've ever seen in a LFS. And if he doesn't have it, just request it, he'll get it on his trip the following week.

Thanks. I go to both of those stores and have had good experiences. I just bought some coral from 3 seas. I stay far away from Aquatic Pets as he is the one that royally screwed me over to begin with. I would not recommend anyone use him. Thanks for the info!!!

Quick topic shift:

Pitmam, which stores are you frequenting? A couple of the larger stores in the area have been running really slim lately. This industry's been real tough business lately. Also, in the last 8 months, two other stores have opened up. Three Seas is at Ashlan and Fowler, and TheFishStore is at Willow and Nees. Since both are new, livestock can be either abundant or empty, depending on when you show up, but they may be worth a look. If you're into a little more travel, my favorite store is The Ultimate Aquarium in Visalia. The owner still hand picks every animal directly from the wholesalers, and consistently has the healthiest livestock I've ever seen in a LFS. And if he doesn't have it, just request it, he'll get it on his trip the following week.

Update...

I received my shipment from Foster's & Smith - Live Aquaria today. The packaging was wonderful, the corals are fabulous. I think I may have even been slobbering as I opened the boxes. I also bought some lunar lights today and added a Biocolored foxface. Feels like Christmas around here!!! My husband thinks I'm a little freaky right about now. :evil:

:p:p:p

ewav.gif

HOT TIP!!!​

Enter word "dodge" (no quotation marks) in coupon block when finishing order at DFS...and you will get 15% off -- IT WORKS! --(paid for shipping on below which I ordered this this morning for my two "lost" clowns) ---

lg_18682_31163.jpg

CD-18682 12 gallon $119.99

ehomeranm.gif

Don't know if it works for livestock...but worth a try...

(Sorry Eric, I had to "blab." - he says this is way less then what he has to pay for them)

Last edited:
Back