Found these today

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I came home today and met a bunch of these little things all over my tanks glass. They look like little white spiders with their body about the size of a sand grain. I haven't added anything new to the tank. Any ideas what it could be?

do they look like this?

if so they are [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cladonema jellyfish

[/FONT]

They do look pretty similar to your photo Matt. There are tons of them in there stuck to the glass. I haven't added anything to my tank in months! No fish, no rocks, no snails or anything from around here, no naturals sea water...Nothing! I only add ro/di water, IO and calcium. So why all of a sudden these things pop up? It's really hard to tell how they really look because they are so small and I was in a rush and only took one shot and posted it. Looks almost identical to Matt's photo though. I'll try a better shot later. Thanks for all of the replies everyone:)

It's weird what life will flourish in your tank even though you've added nothing. They were there somewhere and just decided to make a surge recently.

After I set up my tank about 3 years ago I noticed the same jellyfish in my tank. They appeared after about 2 - 3 months after the cycling was complete. I didn't add anything either so they had to be there somewhere. They lasted for about a month or two then they disappeared and I've never seen them again.

It's all part of the cycle of the tank or so I would think.

Sophie is doing well. She is about to turn 6 months old. Oh how time flies and they grow up so damn quick. Why can't they stay puppies longer?

If they've got 9 legs they are hydroids. You don't usually see them unless there is lots of food available for them (like baby brine shrimp). They sting and can kill seahorse fry and dwarf seahorses but I've never heard of them harming anything else but I assume they could hurt any small fry. The bloom of them will disappear on it's own unless you are feeding something they like.

Thanks Vicky...I'm feeding the same thing I always do (Formula 1 and 2) I'll keep an eye on them and see what happens:)

i thanks u krish for this post,i have notice the same thing in my tank too.i thought it was ick or something that:D

uhh Krish got jellyfish :D !!!
well enjoy them dood, they'll be over pretty soon :D .

Matt dood when are you gonna post more pictures of Sophie :).

OH MY GOD KRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU WILL NEED TO VACATE THE PREMISES FOR AT LEAST TWO WEEKS

LOL
you think maybe flake food pieces are feeding them? LOL
couldnt help it man.
Looks like hydroids or those little jellies. I have seen them before too. They just seem to disapear on thier own.

LOL
couldnt help it man.
Looks like hydroids or those little jellies. I have seen them before too. They just seem to disapear on thier own.

Yeah, I'm going to change my 75 gal out to another one tomorrow to see if that helps getting rid of them:lol:

Last edited:
LOL
couldnt help it man.
Looks like hydroids or those little jellies. I have seen them before too. They just seem to disapear on thier ow

LMBO!!! ohh ohh i have a feeling we're gonna see another downsizing ... this time is gonna be 65 :D ... pretty soon Krish is gonna open his own store with all the stuff that he keeps buying :D ... Krish's aquatics :lol:

No, they are diffenitly not that these are not round but more oblonged shap almost like a little head and tiny body but they are very small. Most dont move but some are moving around on the glass and they move rather quickly.

Could this have something to do with the cloudy water episode?

Back