Foxface has ich :( need help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blindloser1080

So, after being gone for two days, coming home and I noticed that my Foxface has ich. I picked up some of the Instant Ocean lifeline ich tablets today from the LFS, and am going to have to get a qt tank. (foxface is in the main display tank)

Do I need to qt all of my fish, or just my foxface? My others are the longnose hawkfish and the diamond goby. I do have some mushrooms and a toadstool leather in there.

This is my first disease, so I've never dealt with ich before. I know there was something at the LFS that said it was good for the display tank, that was also safe for corals and marine inverts. but it was like $60! I think it was rid-ich or somethin like that.

Thanks Josh

The only signs of itch is when the parasite is pregnant. If you cant see it and you know you have it, there either inside the fishes gills or hatching in the tank i believe. I would also read lees section on marine itch. Its a pain in the ass.

the only way to cure ich is to remove all the fish, inverts and corals are fine, and leave it that way for a couple months. the fish should be given a hyposalinity treatment until the parasite is dead.

Yes, any Ich treatment has the potential to harm the beneficial life, on live rock.

Kich Ich, Rid Ich etc. are worthless in a reef tank. If they're strong enough to kill Ich, they will kill other beneficial bacteria and crustacean. If they won't harm beneficial bacteria or crustacean, they won't kill Ich.

Hyposalinity treatment will kill the beneficial life in and on live rock.

Copper will ruin live rock.

Man, talk about stuck between a rock and a hard place:) So, if I understood correctly, the only real ich treatment for a reef tank is to remove fish so that ich no longer have hosts. Treat the fish separately and re-introduce at a later time when both tank and fish are clear of ich?

Man, talk about stuck between a rock and a hard place:) So, if I understood correctly, the only real ich treatment for a reef tank is to remove fish so that ich no longer have hosts. Treat the fish separately and re-introduce at a later time when both tank and fish are clear of ich?

Yes, and it isn't fun. :(

Back