frag rack?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bens63imp

29 DT w/ 24 aquapod fuge
I need some ideas for making a frag rack out of that white plastic with the square holes in it, well thats what I have so does anybody have ideas/ what not to do's? thanks

Ive made one before with that plastic before. I just cut out a section and attached suction cups to two sides and placed it in a corner of the tank.

I had an idea for what I wanted but started cutting it out began to get too bulky for the space. I need maybe a three teir on both sides in the front corners of my tank, but didn't want to cover up my rocks and what not. 6 inchestall and maybe 5 wide in order to get it teired the footprint would be 5x8, one of those on each side is 2/3 of my display.

If I understand correctly; you would only have 1 inch of rack on the bottom two of three shelves that would not be shaded from above? Something like a stair with a 1" tread before you hit the next overhang?

yep exatcly! brewing up a few new ideas with the site you gave but that was the plan istead of the magnets im going to use zip ties and suction cups

Well I'm no expert :) but I would worry about suction cups dropping coral. I have had bad luck with suction cups holding long term.
My second thought is that unless you are doing a lot of low light coral, your bottom two shelves are not going to get a lot of light, especially if you face the rack with the steps toward the glass.
Neo magnets are pretty easy to come by these days, if you have an old harddrive or two, they have really good ones inside. Coat the magnet with epoxy and good to go.

istead of the magnets im going to use zip ties and suction cups

suction cups will ALWAYS fail.
If you are planning on holding coral that you paid good money for, you should try other ideas.

Here is one other idea I came up with.
I am not selling these at this time, but I thought I'd show you how some can look.
I can give you detailed info on how to make these. Just ask.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42702

I don't have plans to make anymore at this time, but I can help anyone that wants to give it a try.

I don't have plans to make anymore at this time, but I can help anyone that wants to give it a try.

Lol I know. I got depressed reading the thread as you got lower and lower on supplies. I'd probably order one online before rolling my own for something like that. If I get the itch though then you'll get a pm ;)

Back