Frag RBTA Anemone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I know they do, But i was thinking of putting one of them in my nano tank for a pair of clown fish to host in. And I'm impatient.

if you remove your rbt and put it in your nano for 24 hours then put it back in your show tank it would probly split on its own.
Seems stress is one of the reasons they split. I had one for three years never split did a tank upgrade and boom i had two

I agree, every time I moved mine it split ,sometimes 2x, I don't think I would do any cutting you may cause an infection, seems risky. I have heard of people using lower light levels to get them big, and more intense levels of light to make them split. I would look more into this before trying anything but it seems safer than cutting. I wouldn't place a Rose bubble in any tank less than 30g especially if there is any thing else in the tank besides fish. They seem to wonder mine stays put for a few months and then decide to find new real estate.

I have done it a couple of times and never lost one. The key to it is a good clean cut. But as always be ready in case one or both dont make it.

Has anyone ever tried to frag RBTA Anemone? I found 2 how to videos on youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7BdqxW4ka0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foMxOHkrEbA

seems simple enough but I'm scared to do it.

I personally would be afraid to take scissors or something to my anemone. I wouldn't want to risk killing it. But if you decide to let us know how it goes. Would you just make a clean cut through the mouth like a mushroom or similar squishy marine life?

off topic:

nice e30 iroll

Thanks!

I personally would be afraid to take scissors or something to my anemone. I wouldn't want to risk killing it. But if you decide to let us know how it goes. Would you just make a clean cut through the mouth like a mushroom or similar squishy marine life?

Thanks!

Yeah that's what the video showed to do. I'm still debating. Heading to the LFS today to pickup a Tail Spot Blenny for my BC29 and I'll see what Kevin at Aquatic Dreams has in.

I have no personal experience, but I've heard that if you feed it well before changing tanks/water conditions you have a better chance of it splitting. Presumably the split costs energy, and it's more likely to happen if it's got some!

Yes, over feeding it will cause it to slit. Just stress it out, then you will have two for free. :)

Well I broke down before I decided to cut it and bought a pair of TP Clowns from Kevin at Aquatic Dreams. I've never seen this before but within 5 minutes they were hosting in the nem. So I don;t have the heart to take it out and split it and let it recover for a week. They are so happy. Thanks for all your input and Happy reefing!!

Back