frag tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

How do you plan on keeping frags alive if there is no lr? Is this going to be connected to another exhisting system?

the purpose of LR keep in the tank is for the bacteria grow which it will help to break down the waste to non-toxic. but, if no waste going to present in the frag tank then why do we need the bacteria for?
sorry if i ask sutpid Q. i'm still new in this hobby. :)

oh.. and no. it's not connecting with any existing system.

I will let the experts answer this but I don't think that corals will make it just living in plain old water w/ nothing else. Most corals eat fish poop to some degree, or plankton. You can't add plankton or fish poop in a system that has no filtration becuase it will just turn into amm and then there is nothing to process it and it will kill the coral. If the corals just sit in water by themselves they won't last too long either. They require bio diversity, if it was that easy everyone would keep coral in a goldfish bowl.

Yes you will need a certain amount of LR, it dosn't have to be in the frag tank, but in the sump or connect it to a exhisting system.

ok. i know what to do. thanks.
one more Q. how much lbs of LR i need in the sump? well... it just a small frag tank -- 30gal.

You can have a tank without LR but It would be better with it. No fish. They corals do slime which needs to be skimmed out. People take out their rock when they cook it and the coral lives. I would still suggest adding a small amount of rock at least.

Back