Fragging a toadstool leather?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DUIdiver

Is there a proper way to frag or trim down my toadstool leather? It's roughly 6" on diameter at the top and has a runner growing off the side. Are these pretty hard to hurt? Any tips would be great. I am sure this topic is somewhere, but currently eluding me. If you find the link for the thread please let me know.
-Bryan

P.S. It's good to be back!

I found that a sharp utility knife blade works for me. I used to remove the whole colony (attached to small rock I could remove or relocate) and cut half of the top off leaving all the stock. This goes back into the display. Then I would cut the remainder into quarter sized peices and let them heal in the sump or frag tank with a bunch of frag plugs or rock rubble for them to attach to.

Good luck.

That is pretty much what I thought. I have never done it and just wanted to make sure I was thinking in the right direction.

I did almost the same except I cut all the way around the top.. Making a circle.. Then I would cut that up in pieces.. So if you have 6 in diameter then I would take it down to 4- 4 1/2 inches

oh ok. Mine has an odd shape anyway. I had high nitrates for a while in my tank and everything was growing weird. Chemistry is all better now, so I am trying to get everything squared away. Thanks Am3gross.

Im glad you asked your question. Its funny because i was just looking at my toadstool lastnight and was thinking about fraggiing it but didnt know how. Now i do. My toadstool is 8 or 9 across, also a wierd shape.

Yeah I remembered talking to Kevin a few years back when I lived in Spokane about it, but just wanted to make sure my memory was correct. Glad I could help...or let someone else help! ha ha

Dont know about everybody else, but i try not to glue any of my corals, unless im using a plug. I have some ecotec frag glue that i used a few times. A bit on the expensive side but it sure does work good. Even under water...lol

Dont know about everybody else, but i try not to glue any of my corals, unless im using a plug. I have some ecotec frag glue that i used a few times. A bit on the expensive side but it sure does work good. Even under water...lol

Glueing softies usually doesn't work because they tend to slime themselves right out of the glue or epoxy. When it comes to LPS and SPS, I'd guess that 99.9% of reefers glue or epoxy them into place.

Back