Fragging encrusters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmn_usn

bblhd reefer
I have a Superman Monti encrusting type that I want to frag. What is the best and most efficient way to move parts from one rock to a plug or rock? Don't want to destroy the colony trying to frag it. Thanks for the help.
Nate

In that case, you could consider placing a small piece of rock beside the monti and letting it grow onto the new piece of rock.

I do this with several corals - I glue a piece of liverock under the coral and let it encrust onto the new piece of rock, I then pop it off with a screw driver to remove it, then I then colour it up in another location. No damage to the existing colony.

I have a Superman Monti encrusting type that I want to frag. What is the best and most efficient way to move parts from one rock to a plug or rock? Don't want to destroy the colony trying to frag it. Thanks for the help.
Nate

Pull the rock out, cut your line with a dremel saw and pop fracture open with screwdriver or chisel. Perfect frags that heal in under a week to good as new condition.

Orrrrrrr, just snap off a piece and glue in to a plug/disc/rubble and let it grow.

I have used the Dremel before and they work great!! Much easier to control the size of the frag.

If you opt to use a dremel, I would suggest cutting the underside of the coral, not the top. Also have a bowl of tank water available to cool the cut area during the proccess, and flush away any tissue/slime that occurs. Good luck! D

Thanks. I am going to try to put my built frag plug to see if it will encrust that first. If that doesn't work... I will go to the dremel.

Well.. the hanging frag tree I made doesn't sink. But I was in the tank the other night fraging zoas so I pulled the superman out and look at it closely.... I found a small area that I broke off the rock and glued it to a frag plug... now the wait begins. So far it seems to be working... the frags polyps are coming out. I also fragged my Red Cap.

Lots of fun.

Back