Fragging softies

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've got a few questions about how to frag some softies that I'm about ready to cut into. I'll explain what I'm thinking and then please comment.

#1. Hairy Mushrooms. I've got a couple rocks covered with either hairy mushrooms or ricordia, not quite sure what a couple of them are. I want to frag them some. I'm thinking about cutting a couple of the stems off between the cap and the rock they're attached to. If I do this, will the remaining stem grow a new cap? I'll then attach the cap to some rubble rock. I know I can also frag by cutting across the cap or even quartering it, but don't want to loose the "round" look of them for the time it will take them to grow back out. Or do they grow back to a round form quickly? Am I better off cross cutting the caps? These all have quite tall stalks under the caps, some are almost 2-3" tall and 5" in diameter when fully expanded.

#2. Kenya Tree. I've got a Kenya that's about 5" tall and has several large branches that branch off the main trunk. I've thought about cutting a couple of the large branches where they join the main trunk. I've also considered just lopping off the top half of the entire tree. If I top it, will the main branch split where it's been cut or will it just continue to grow upwards?

#3. Zoanthids. I've got a rock with a pretty good population of polyps on it. I know that it's possible to set other rocks near it and they'll spread onto the other rocks. I've had that set up for awhile with nothing spreading onto the other rock. I've considered snipping the stalks of some of the polyps just above the rock they're attached to and reattaching them to other rock. Will that work? This would be similar to what I've described with #1.

#4. Xenia. My Xenia started out as one small frag and is now 4 main branches that all branch from the same location on the rock. I am planning on just cutting a couple branches off right at the rock. As with the Kenya, what would happen if I cut a branch half way up? Will the lower branch that is left attached to the rock continue to grow upwards or will it again branch as a household plant would?

I guess that some corals look so much like a plant that when considering how to frag them, I'm stuck in the mind set of plant clippings...lol. Is it similar? Thanks for any info any of you are able to provide!!

sid - for the zoos I use a 1/2 inch wood chisel and try to get under the 'zoo mat' taking a small thin layer of rock with it. wear gloves cuz some of them may be the kind that irritate humans and eye protection. I usually do it underwater in my fragging container. I scrape up however much I want then cut it loose from the main colony if it still attached - glue it to whatever

mushrooms -regular ones- I just lop off - the base grows back and the top is there - mushrooms will slime and squirt - wear glasses - gluing the top right away may not work. you may want to let it sit on the sand or something and it will adhere naturally. if you let it on the sand then it will attach to the sand then you can glue the sand to whatever I have never done the hairy mushrooms and I just loped off a ricordea for experimentation but I think they grow extra mouths and then you can cut across them having a mouth in each section and they will then form new ones -

Anyone with ricordea exp holler out

Xenia - I have had varied luck with them- if your frag is a good healthy piece it will do fine. our grows so fast it is on something else before ya know it so I never cut it.

return of sid,
I see you live in Spokane, me too. I started a tank a little while ago and Ive been looking for a few zoanthids to add some color.
Are you planning on selling any frags? What part of town are you in?
Nate

the guy I got my xenia from says his is like a weed. He can't stop it - he has given us (4) all frags and I got a second batch from him. Mine is moderate but he must have the conditions for it!!

I have also fragged torches and frog spawns. Sometimes if you have an lps you can see buds or babies at the base - I have gotten a hammer and a buble this way. I have a frogspawn now that is splitting after a year. I did not think it was a splitting kind since it had gotten so large from the frag I got from the LFS- but it has buds I want to get off. for these you need to get some of the base with it so I got a wood carving kit from AC Moore or Micheals (cant remember which) for like $25 comes with all kinds of neat blades. nothing fancy I think it is an exacto brand. Handy little kit. Don't forget glasses and gloves - I have seen Julian Sprung and Anthony Calfo fragging Demos - it is so much better when you see someone do it first! Anthony makes it look like childs play and a very good speaker to boot.

i have fragged mushrooms and leathers..you can pretty much cut them into a ton of peices..i have so many leathers now that it isn't funny!!!!!! even the places that i have torn them away from the rock has a new leather with polyps on it already!!

I've fragged regular/hairy/ricordea mushrooms many times. And its done the same way.

All you do is cut the head from the stalk. The stalk will grow a new head.
Take the part you cut off and cut it into pieces, similar to a pizza. If you can, try to get a piece of the mouth on all parts. (it's not necessary though)

Then drop the piecs in some sort of container in your tank. On the bottom of the container you should have some sort of gravel/crushed coral for them to attach to. It usually take 2-3 weeks for them to heal and attach. Once they've attached, you can glue them to whatever rocks you want.

Someone on here uses shotglasses to put the frags in while they attach. I've usually used the little breeder containers that hang on the side of your tank. If you use one of those, just make sure to put holes in the sides so it gets enough water flow.

You can also try setting the pieces on the rock you want to attach them to, and using wedding veil? to secure them. Then they'll attach directly to the rock you want them on, rather than a shell or piece of gravel. I've had mixed success with this. Sometimes it works out great, other times the frag actually grows into the veil.

Ricordeas are most successful when they have multiple mouths. But like I said, it's not necessary. There have been a couple times when I went to cut it and it slipped. I ended up with a thin strip as one of the frags. Healed just fine.

When I fragged my kenya tree...I just cut some of the branches off....I dont think it matters what size the branch is.....I just cut some big branches off because mine was huge...like 18 inches tall when I did it....but even the frag I have from it now that is like 6 inches has already dropped daughter colonies...so has my other frag of tree coral I got from a LFS.....I dont think you can really hurt it that bad....even if you think it looks bad... it will come around....and be healthy again

I've got a few questions about how to frag some softies that I'm about ready to cut into. I'll explain what I'm thinking and then please comment.

#1. Hairy Mushrooms. I've got a couple rocks covered with either hairy mushrooms or ricordia, not quite sure what a couple of them are. I want to frag them some. I'm thinking about cutting a couple of the stems off between the cap and the rock they're attached to. If I do this, will the remaining stem grow a new cap? I'll then attach the cap to some rubble rock. I know I can also frag by cutting across the cap or even quartering it, but don't want to loose the "round" look of them for the time it will take them to grow back out. Or do they grow back to a round form quickly? Am I better off cross cutting the caps? These all have quite tall stalks under the caps, some are almost 2-3" tall and 5" in diameter when fully expanded.

#2. Kenya Tree. I've got a Kenya that's about 5" tall and has several large branches that branch off the main trunk. I've thought about cutting a couple of the large branches where they join the main trunk. I've also considered just lopping off the top half of the entire tree. If I top it, will the main branch split where it's been cut or will it just continue to grow upwards?

#3. Zoanthids. I've got a rock with a pretty good population of polyps on it. I know that it's possible to set other rocks near it and they'll spread onto the other rocks. I've had that set up for awhile with nothing spreading onto the other rock. I've considered snipping the stalks of some of the polyps just above the rock they're attached to and reattaching them to other rock. Will that work? This would be similar to what I've described with #1.

#4. Xenia. My Xenia started out as one small frag and is now 4 main branches that all branch from the same location on the rock. I am planning on just cutting a couple branches off right at the rock. As with the Kenya, what would happen if I cut a branch half way up? Will the lower branch that is left attached to the rock continue to grow upwards or will it again branch as a household plant would?

I guess that some corals look so much like a plant that when considering how to frag them, I'm stuck in the mind set of plant clippings...lol. Is it similar? Thanks for any info any of you are able to provide!!
If you can wait on the kenya tree, it will start dropping pups when it is ready. I have even had this happen when having to move it around to do something in the tank.

Anne

I've fragged regular/hairy/ricordea mushrooms many times. And its done the same way.

All you do is cut the head from the stalk. The stalk will grow a new head.
Take the part you cut off and cut it into pieces, similar to a pizza. If you can, try to get a piece of the mouth on all parts. (it's not necessary though)

Then drop the piecs in some sort of container in your tank. On the bottom of the container you should have some sort of gravel/crushed coral for them to attach to. It usually take 2-3 weeks for them to heal and attach. Once they've attached, you can glue them to whatever rocks you want.

Someone on here uses shotglasses to put the frags in while they attach. I've usually used the little breeder containers that hang on the side of your tank. If you use one of those, just make sure to put holes in the sides so it gets enough water flow.

You can also try setting the pieces on the rock you want to attach them to, and using wedding veil? to secure them. Then they'll attach directly to the rock you want them on, rather than a shell or piece of gravel. I've had mixed success with this. Sometimes it works out great, other times the frag actually grows into the veil.

Ricordeas are most successful when they have multiple mouths. But like I said, it's not necessary. There have been a couple times when I went to cut it and it slipped. I ended up with a thin strip as one of the frags. Healed just fine.
I think I would be one of the many that uses shot glasses or glass votive candle holders (w/o the candle) with crushed coral in it. I usually get them from Hobby Lobby for dirt cheap.

Anne

I wish my Xenia was that way.

NO you dont, :lol: :lol: .., I just took 5 stalks to my LFS two weeks ago and left myself one lonely small stalk... thats was two weeks ago and now I have six more ready to go... Anyone want some Zenia... seems to be a VERY hardy strain... If you Pocono club members need some more let me know...

yes reefbound knows what he is talking about - he is our Xenia connection!!:lol: He definitely has the thumb or a good strain

yes reefbound knows what he is talking about - he is our Xenia connection!!:lol: He definitely has the thumb or a good strain
Just don't ship it. As one of our LFS owners found out (local club was screaming for some xenia) a whole shipment of it sat in her store display tanks and melted away. Stuff is extremely rare around here.

I know that had to hurt.

Anne

October 7th I fragged this Zenia up and supplied my LFS with 5 nice stalks, That was almost two weeks to the day and this is what I have now...Six more that can be fragged. Thankfully I have it isolated to where you see it.

Last edited:
Just don't ship it. As one of our LFS owners found out (local club was screaming for some xenia) a whole shipment of it sat in her store display tanks and melted away. Stuff is extremely rare around here.

I know that had to hurt.

Anne

I know this stuff is supposed to be fagile but this stuff I have has been cut,mutilated(accident) fragged and kept out of water for nearly an hour while cutting the rock it was attached to and its always comes back. I would really like to see how this held up to overnite shipping.

Back