Fragging some zoo

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

If you don't wanna break the rock, your best bet would be to use a screwdriver, chisel or scalpel, to try and cut under the zoanthid stem and get a small amount of rock, along with the Zoanthids. Cutting the stem of the Zoanthid will work, but won't result in as high of a survival rate.

alrighty im not to worried bout them dieing. they are growing like weeds and i cant get the rocks out that they are growing on. so if some of em survive ill be ok with that. just wanted to make sure that theres a chance of em surviving. thanks sid

It's possible. Palytoxin can be BAD. If you have cuts on your hands, it can get in easier. Also, when handling them, out of water, never have them pointed at you. They can squirt. If it gets in any mucus membrane, it can cause some serious issues. It's always a good idea to wear surgical gloves and safety glasses.

nasty little sh!+s. thanks for the heads up. im going to try to cut and scrape em off in the tank. how long should i wait before i try and sell em or give em away? and do they have to be mounted to survive? or can i get rid of em free floating?

I've been handling and fragging zoas for a few years now with no gloves. I've never known anybody to get sick from it, but did hear a few stories. You should treat them with caution, and not put broken or cracked skin and open wounds in your tank. Other than that you should be fine.

Hey Sid ,I have seen the pics and you where not wearing safety glasses.LOL Also you can get a butter bowl with some rubble in it. Put the frags in there and cover the bowl with a mess screen and rubber band. This will keep them contained until they attach to some of the rubble.

Back