Votes: 7 31.8%
  • okay...............(uh-huh)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • cool................(whatever)

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

eliterecon14

Pajama Cardinal
About 5 hours ago I walked into Aquatic Environments, I was looking for the perfect piec of rock. I looked at some base and saw something perfect, then I looked at the premium Fiji rock display. There nestled among a crack was a bubble tip anemone! It has a flourescent green/pinkish stalk, about the size of a penny, it has red/orange/pink tentacles and if you look closely you can see bubbles on the tips. I also have an albino anemone of a sort, and best of all I HAVE MICRO BRITTLE STARS!!! I moved a rock and noticed 3 striped arms and looked closer and found out immediately what they are! I also have some purple things with a branchy sort of thing for feeding. The last thing I found was some sort of creatures that make tubes with sedimentish stuff and have two long, white, slender, tendrils. I have small yellow worms, about 6 and my anemone and them fought over a flake of food. Will post pics later

That's awesome! I can't wait to see the pics. Hitchhikers can be an enjoyable part of tank watching....especially when the lights go out.

That should be something to see, can't wait until you post Pics! :D
This adds a little excitement to the tank Huh!

eliterecon14 - that hitchhiker is not a bubble tip anemone, but it looks more like a majano anemone to me. If you can get a picture of the albino anemone you mentioned, then maybe we can help you identify that, as well.

There are so many different critters in our tanks, that it can be very exciting to try to figure out what everything is, and whether or not they are good. Some of the bad you really don't want to take hold, or else they can bother corals you add in the future.

Mini brittle stars are awesome!

Uh-oh!

Great, all this excitement, and I have to debate whether or not to post. I guess SOMEONE has to spoil the picnic....

Hey elite... first, aren't all the new finds awesome? That's arguably the best part of the tank. I still stay up at night with a small flashlight finding all the little cool things, and I find new ones all the time. That anemone however... unfortunately... is a majano. It's actually a pest, and can take over areas of your tank in a hurry. I'm so sorry to have to spoil all the fun, but it's something you're going to want to get rid of ASAP. It will multiply, into others that will multiply... and before you know it, you're hating life.

I agree, Majano anemone...BAD lil' guy. If you have one, you probably have more. Reminds me of my first life in my tank. I was all excited and took pics...then was told by Barbie that it was aiptasia...lol. But hey, the Majano won't be that difficult to get rid of and sounds like you have lots of other life in there as well. Besides, you don't want a RBTA in a newly established tank anyway.

I have thought about putting together a tank with all those so called pest like majano and aiptasia they sure don’t look bad and would be easy to maintain. You could over feed them, forget about them, throw them a bone once in a while, forget to check the water and they will always be there with tentacles stretched out and awaiting a tasty morsel you drop in when you walk by the tank to say hello.

I let Majano's take over a 60 about 3 years ago thinking it would be cool, They killed off everything but the RBTA's in the tank, zoa's, mushrooms, softy's, you name it were wiped out by them. They were quite pretty, but the whole monospecific thing just got boring after a while.....

When I first started, I had about 70 or so aiptasia in with my corals. My corals were doing awesome so I didn't see any reason to get rid of them. I eventually got a peppermint shrimp to take care of them but he only ate the small ones. I had a whole bunch of big ones that he wouldn't touch and i thought it looked natural.

The best part of a tank is when you start out and get to find all the cool little critters you never knew you had. When you stop getting excited about the little things, its becomes work instead of fun.

It really looks like a majano anemone to me. They can even have colored tentacles. Here's a pic of a majano our own MtnDewMan took:

450Anemonia-majano1.jpg

They come in a verity of colors from yellow to dark red. From what ive seen most of them are around the reddish brown color. They are usually small I don’t know how big they could get if fed well but the ones I had were all dime size or smaller before I got rid of them and they look exactly like the picture you posted.

What type of lighting do you have? What size tank?

Back