Fresh air = good Ph

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trido

Fish Tank Freak
This thread probably wont pertain to alot of people but I just wanted to share my recent experience.
Some reefers are plagued with low Ph and try everything to figure it out just short of opening a window.
First a little back ground.
My system is located in my laundry room. Its 170G total and heavily loaded with fish and a mix of corals. The room is ventilated with a fresh air vent rated at 80CFM and a bath fan rated for 110CFM. As you can see, the vent cant keep up with the bath fan so air is sucked under the door thus removing heat from inside my house. The bathfan is controlled by a coolingstat (mounted to the ceiling) that turns it on when the temperature reaches a set point. I keep it set at 80F. My intentintion for the fan was to remove heat and humidity. Since its winter and Im always trying to save electricity.............. thats where this begins.
Last night while cleaning my skimmer cup I heard the fan running and felt that the room was cold. My fan runs almost 24/7 and I have always felt that it doesnt work like I intended. The room is either cold or very humid. There is no in between. I set it to 85F and finished my chores. About an hour later I walked by and noticed the Ph was reading 7.89 on my AC Jr. and knew something was wrong because a while earlier it read 8.21. I started looking for failed equipment. Nothing turned up. Then I realized it was lack of O2 in the room. The Ph on this tank typically swings from 8 to 8.2 from AM to PM. After lights out it takes about 6 hours for it to drop the two tenths. Last night, the Ph dropped three tenths in one hour with the lights on.

Apparently for me, the ventilation fan is just as critical as my pumps and lights.:shock:

Wow, that's good to know! But I really have no way of having fresh air get to the tank without ventilating the whole house, which I do in the summer, but NOW? The tank is in the dining room, the only place where it would fit, and yes, my PH is always really low (so I have to add buffer regularly). Can I just add oxigen to the tank same way that carbon dioxide gets added to freshwater tanks?

my PH is always really low (so I have to add buffer regularly). Can I just add oxigen to the tank same way that carbon dioxide gets added to freshwater tanks?

Never buffer ph, most ph buffers will boost your alk. O2 injection is a whole other issue but no you cant just diffuse it into the tank.
Running a hose outside to the skimmer will sometimes to a little but not anything real noticable.
You can run a test to see if its the high co2 levels in the house real easy. If the house levels are high the ph in the tank will always be low. If your seeing constant low levels 24/7 then take a look at nutrients.

Don

Mine go up and down with my light cycle, from 7.9 to 8.1

Infrequently, has gone as high as 8.2 On days chiller is running, open the door or window but hate to do so when furnace is running. The Kalk dosing ATO seems to have helped. So I probably shouldn't sweat it?

Wow, that's good to know! But I really have no way of having fresh air get to the tank without ventilating the whole house, which I do in the summer, but NOW? The tank is in the dining room, the only place where it would fit, and yes, my PH is always really low (so I have to add buffer regularly). Can I just add oxigen to the tank same way that carbon dioxide gets added to freshwater tanks?
i don't know what you guys' weather is like, but i open my house up in the winter:D..it rarely gets below 30 degrees here.. i prefer a cold house..i have kept mine open as much as possible..it is hard to as last week it was in the 70's:shock: the summer is near 100 degrees..too hot to open up the house.. i have it open right now.. i try to do it once a day for my tank

Mine go up and down with my light cycle, from 7.9 to 8.1

Infrequently, has gone as high as 8.2 On days chiller is running, open the door or window but hate to do so when furnace is running. The Kalk dosing ATO seems to have helped. So I probably shouldn't sweat it?

I wouldnt worry about those numbers. Higher I guess would be nice but those are not going to hurt anything. Battling slightly low ph is a loosing battle.

Don

Julia, do you have good surface aggitation?? this can help out with low ph... not sure if you knew that already:rolleyes:

i don't know what you guys' weather is like, but i open my house up in the winter

For the weather around here, think Canada, but a little warmer and milder

I wouldnt worry about those numbers. Higher I guess would be nice but those are not going to hurt anything. Battling slightly low ph is a loosing battle. Don

Thanks Don, this does help. Guess it's time to toss my old collection of buffers and el cheapo brand dry flakes:)

i don't know what you guys' weather is like, but i open my house up in the winter:D..it rarely gets below 30 degrees here.. i prefer a cold house..i have kept mine open as much as possible..it is hard to as last week it was in the 70's:shock: the summer is near 100 degrees..too hot to open up the house.. i have it open right now.. i try to do it once a day for my tank

Man, anything below 70 im complaining which is most of the year. Arizona is sounding better and better every day.:)

Don

Julia, do you have good surface aggitation?? this can help out with low ph... not sure if you knew that already:rolleyes:

My surface is nice and wavy... no white caps, mind you, but there are constant good size ripples across it.

Did someone say nutrients cause low PH? :shock:

Back