Freshwater dip to remove rock crabs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NeuroDoc

When I set up my nano tank, the rock I purchased was infested with rock crabs. I thought all had been removed, but unfortunately this was not the case. I have killed some, although there are still some I can't get to.

What is the best way to rid live rock of these creatures before they go in my tank? Can a freshwater dip do this? How long can I leave the rock in freshwater without killing off all the good organisms?

I wouldn't dip your rock in freshwater.
I've read that if you know where the crab is, squirt in some carbonated water in the hole where the crab is. That's supposed to make the crab come out.

I agree with Martin. My buddy use to use tonic water to get out all of the pests whenever he got a piece of live rock (not in the tank though... He did it in a big rubbermaid container) :)

krish75 said:
I agree with Martin. My buddy use to use tonic water to get out all of the pests whenever he got a piece of live rock (not in the tank though... He did it in a big rubbermaid container) :)

Yeah, be sure to remove the rock from the tank so the crab gets the full benefit of the tonic/silzer/ carbonated water.:D

How much gin should I add to the tonic?

One for me, one for the reef, oune for meeee, too fur the reefe........

NeuroDoc said:
When I set up my nano tank, the rock I purchased was infested with rock crabs. I thought all had been removed, but unfortunately this was not the case. I have killed some, although there are still some I can't get to.

What is the best way to rid live rock of these creatures before they go in my tank? Can a freshwater dip do this? How long can I leave the rock in freshwater without killing off all the good organisms?
I had also heard of using a saltwater dip where the salinity is a bit more than what your tank would be.

Anne

I have also used freshwater and a turkey baster and squirt the hole it is in. At least that way you do not kill the rock.

Back