Friend Lost two Croceas overnight..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hi Ed. well I am experiancing a problems with 2 of my clams as of late. One is a crocea the other a gigas.
first one is the gigas first off it was completely fine for about 5-6 months that I had it. Then it started to recede. well after 2 weeks and 2 water changes it is looking better but the mantle is still down in the shell on one side.
second one has really bugged me. went from beauty to certain death no recovery for this one I dont think. wide open to the mantle is curled up inside the shell and it will not open up but a 1/4 inch crack. It has unattached from the rock where it was. and where the foot was it is recedeing there too. attached a pic. the pic is when I first got it.
It literally went to crap over night.

Elmo told me about pyiralids not a exact spelling but I have seen 2 of these in my tank before but none since, I am pming him about the link he gave me. I need to read it again and find more links like it. They are little meat eating buggers that really bother me now. I wonder how fast they would cause a problem like death of a clam. but for now there is something to research for me.

diablo said:
hi Ed. well I am experiancing a problems with 2 of my clams as of late. One is a crocea the other a gigas.
first one is the gigas first off it was completely fine for about 5-6 months that I had it. Then it started to recede. well after 2 weeks and 2 water changes it is looking better but the mantle is still down in the shell on one side.
second one has really bugged me. went from beauty to certain death no recovery for this one I dont think. wide open to the mantle is curled up inside the shell and it will not open up but a 1/4 inch crack. It has unattached from the rock where it was. and where the foot was it is recedeing there too. attached a pic. the pic is when I first got it.
It literally went to crap over night.

Elmo told me about pyiralids not a exact spelling but I have seen 2 of these in my tank before but none since, I am pming him about the link he gave me. I need to read it again and find more links like it. They are little meat eating buggers that really bother me now. I wonder how fast they would cause a problem like death of a clam. but for now there is something to research for me.
Diablo,
I saw your post. I know very little about clams. I know a little bit about parasitic snails, and very little about recessed mantle. I am hoping Barry will chime in here. I learned from a lecture from Barry in Seattle to inspect the mantle of clams upon purchasing them. I also learned that you want to check their response to light (wave your hand over them and see respond quickly by retracting). When Water paremeters are good, no light changes recently, When I see no predators of clams. If you tank has been set up for a long time and has a ample supply of food for clam, I am baffled. I wish I could help ya Buddy! How long has your tank been set up?I want to think food supply.
Good Luck,
Sincerely,
Ed

John/ragman - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! I haven't looked back at the posts, so I can't remember if I've asked this...Were there any marks on the shells, or anything left to them at all? What would a mantis do with a couple of clams, Barry?

The two clams in question showed substantial "shrinkage" of the flesh, pulling off the top part of the shell in the morning. As the day went on the main bodies literally shriveled up to the point that they were not even attached to the shell any longer and had shrunk to about the size of a quarter on a 3-4" clam. I couldn't take it any longer and pulled them out that night. :(

Back