Friend or Foe.. Pls identify

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lionhead

I got this when I purchased my zoa colony. It was attached to the rock. As soon as it got settled in my tank. It grew to about 2 inches in diameter. The rock it was attached to fell and this unidentified anemone like creature got smashed inbetween. I didnt notice the rock for about 3 days. When I finally did and put it back in its original place, this thing now became 3. Theyre about an inch diameter in size.. All three of them.. They can EAT!!!

Anyways, does anyone know what these are? Are they good or bad for the reef aquarium?

Looks like a rock or flower anemone per your size description. They like to be in the sand and are fine but can sting other corals if in contact. Will catch small fish and inverts too.

Theyre not considered Pests like the aptasia are they? Should I remove this from my tank or is it ok to be in there?

You can find them at LFS's who knows if you got three and want to just keep one you could always take the other two in to trade for credit towards something else you want.

Those are pretty cool aren't they? I have a few in my tank as well! I got mine from WA coral. He has some really awesome colonies of these critters.

Back