Friend or Foe

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It look similiar to what I have. Mini carpet anemone but I'm not 100% sure.

feb1032.jpg

Thanks Mike. The one on the bottom is also a majano. It got burned by some toxic slime. They snag bits that are floating in the water column after Sir (the Sgt. Major Damsel in my avatar) has torn up larger meaty chunks.

If I keep vigilant, I'm hoping to keep them on the clean-up crew and maybe a source for nutrient export. Will that work? I don't necessarily have to kill them in situ, do I?

btuck, I like your critter. Very nice, it glows good.:)
Will someone please give a positve ID so I can learn more about it?

Thank you

Some tank owners without corals like them for a period of time (they sting other corals.) They are not a nutrient export and can be removed in or out of the tank.
Have never found any dedicated reefer who still likes them after they have spread all over the tank and into each and every crevice. Similar to any invader, they are much easier to remove before becoming an infestation which happens in short order. There are fellow reefers in the puget N/W who would give you free button polyp colonies, xenia, perhaps even some kenya tree or common zoas. They make much better tank-mates.
Best with all,
Mike

Ok, confused again, let me elaborate. Please help me understand if my theory is flawed. I may be going about this all wrong, so I'll run it up the pole and see if it flies.

If I export them rather than zapping them in the tank, would that not be a round-about of exporting nutrients that they have consumed and stored as flesh? Or is it an equal or less effective trade considering the waste produced after metabolisis over time? I certainly don't feed them, they have survived as opportunists (which they do well) sooooo, I would either be removing waste via mechanical and chemical means in short order or, taking out the majano in a longer term as stored "waste".

Kinda crazy, borrowed this idea from horticulture...not sure if the same principle applies. Thoughts?

You can not just cut the heads off to kill them, they clone like crazy. Need to nuke the animal with high temp or Kalk. This leaves the desolved remains in the rock unless you plan on re-curing the rock each time. Thus, not a nutrient export.

Well by export, I mean remove the whole thing, not goin' red queen on it.:evil: Convincing them to let go-:rolleyes: a sharp and pointy stick usually gets 'em moving so I'll continue to employ that tool when it's eviction time.

Yes, I'm a majano herder. LOL I do have other critters and corals but I don't think that they would be as tolerant of poking.

Never seen anyone successfully remove the entirety of a majano but sounds like you are having a good time and that is whats most important. Herding majanos, great picture:D

CRACK! CRACK!! Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' Keep movin', movin', movin', Though they're disapprovin', Keep them majanos movin' Reef-rock!

LOFLMAO!!!!! That reminds me when I was on a nudibranch hunt yesterday. With the- one little, two little, three little nudibranchs. Does this qualify for the 'You know you're a dedicated reefer thread'? ...When you sing to your pests?:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike, I apprieciate what you're telling me about head trouble off before it happens, thank you for that. I know you're trying to look out for my best interest and give me the best and long advised course of action. I will remove them.

I'm not discounting what you are saying, just want to know if I'm getting the basic concept of -what goes in, must come out- applied to a feasible if not just strange idea. I was reading more about NE and most the topic dealt with DO, detritus and algae removal. So for the sake of argument, I decide to keep the little bugs and I am able to poke them to the point of 'giddyap and move 'em out', would my wacky idea still apply?

Deb, picture majano with longhorns. heh-he.

The amount of organic matter you would be removing with one single clean majano extrication, wouldn't even equal one tiny pinch of reef food. Yet the risk of them spreading is much more measurable. I used to love some of mine. A few got large and turned very bright green with red highlights, absolutely beautiful! They were really cool until I noticed many ugly brown ones appearing in various crevices. They reproduce faster than rabbits. Think tribbles...

Ahhhh! So my idea needs to go the way of the majano! A little science and an imagination isn't always a good thing. LOL

BTW, 'Dusty' has moved to the top of the rock today and indeed confirmed ID, now that I can see lethal injection is imminent.

Thanks again Mike for patiently entertaining this nonsense of mine. And everyone else who chimed in. :)

Back