Friggin testers ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

With the money we invest in livestock it seems silly to scrimp on the test kit. While I am not ready to go to lengths Don W is willing to do, I can understand why.

Not really any great lenghts. The lab charges me $25 thats just over the price of one kit. :)

Don

Not really any great lenghts. The lab charges me $25 thats just over the price of one kit. :)

Don

I here what you are saying and can see following suit... but you ARE you talking about $25 per test! Salifert is giving you about 50 per. What exactly are you getting for $25? Are they checking a bunch of parameters so you can calibrate all of your kits?

Baby step Ron LOLOLOLOL!! You guys use a lot of terminology on hear that makes me go:confused:

Jerry

GFO Granular Ferric Oxide. You get this at most of the better stores or online. Two of the popular brand are RowaPhos and Phosban. Order up a Salifert P test kit so that you know wether you need it or not.:)

Don

gosh, you guys have $$ to spend...lol i cant afford 20-40$ a kit...hahaah

Do what I do, check eBay once and a while....;)

This weekend I won a lot of (6) partially used Salifert kits for >$40! (that's CA, pH, NO3, KH, Mg, and PO4!)

Sure some of them are 1/2 used up but for less than $7 a kit--who cares!
(All I really needed was the Mg and PO4 tests anyways--the rest are a bonus! :D)

Do what I do, check eBay once and a while....;)

This weekend I won a lot of (6) partially used Salifert kits for >$40! (that's CA, pH, NO3, KH, Mg, and PO4!)

Sure some of them are 1/2 used up but for less than $7 a kit--who cares!
(All I really needed was the Mg and PO4 tests anyways--the rest are a bonus! :D)

Careful doing that. There are a few on ebay that use the kits unil the run out part 3 then throw in water and auction them off.

Don

Well fishsupply.com was the cheapest way for me (They had it all in stock). Wow that stuff is expensive. On the way tho and the strips are in the trash.

Jerry

Here is what I did. I started out with Aquarium Pharm. test kits until I learned otherwise and I have been slowly changing them out to Salifert. I started with Calcium, magnesium, and alk and eventually I will buy ammonia, nitrite, nitrate ect. My 10 gal tank is 8 months old and I do frequent water changes so I don't have to worry much about ammonia, ect.
If you don't think you can spend all the money for Salifert test kits then buy one at a time. Just don't make your livestock suffer over it, buy hardware first. If you can afford the average piece of coral then you can afford a Salifert test kit, you just have to get over not having new pets. Remember, this hobby is expensive, but not impossible.

Well there's my rant for the day:) .

Tim

Careful doing that. There are a few on ebay that use the kits unil the run out part 3 then throw in water and auction them off.

Don

sure like anything else, "caveat emptor" (and there will always be a few cheats out there) but....

I've spent (and SAVED!) literally $1000's buying all kinds of stuff on eBay for over a decade now!

I can still remember when I was in college--taking 3:00am study-breaks, to put a last minute bid on my favorite auctions!

Back