frogspawn "decaying"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Prest0nC

I've had a metallic frogspawn colony of about 4 heads for a few weeks now. I have seen significant growth over the past few weeks in terms of new layers of tentacles growing but lately the head on the "bottom right" of the picture has been decaying. The tentacles normally look like those on the top head. In comparison, the tenticles on the bottom right have gotten skinnier, darkened in color, and have shrunk up. This appears to be spreading to the adjacent heads. There is almost no flow hitting the frogspawn.

Has anybody experienced this before? Is this normal or is somethin funkay goin on? Please let me know, this is my favorite coral!!

Tank Specs:
14 gallon BC (Stock Flow)
2 24w PC
80 Degrees
1.024 S
pH 8.2
Nitrates 0
Calcium 440ish
Alkalinity Around 4

well it looks like a branching hammer to me. i had this happen to my torch. was doing fine for 2 years then suddenly one head started doing the same as yours, then another and another. i finally decided to cut the dead or dying branches off and it stopped in about 3 months time they all grew back + more....hth

yea i'm pretty worried. seems like the rot has spread to all the heads though...don't know how much good cutting the dieing one will do.... healthy tentacles that are touching the rotting ones are starting to get a brownish discoloration

you can try moving it...but that might stress it out more...also my euphyllia loved moderate flow also i had my salinity at 1.026

Your ALK seems low. I believe you should target 8 dKH.

Not sure if that is causing the problem though.

i have maintained a constant alk and salinity since it has been in the tank so i dont know why it would just suck at living all of a sudden.

all the parts that began to shrivel were not getting as much light as the healthy areas so i rotated the colony upside down... dont know if that will make a difference

Back