Frogspawn

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

speedymichael

Arctic Fish
Is there a good web site that describes how to take care of frogspawn other then just keeping the calcium level at around 400? I need everything from the very basic, such as placement, how to feed them properly, and what to feed them. I just want to make sure that I am not neglegting them. Thanks.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but how do you feed it brine shrimp? Do you just set beside it, or do you dangle one in front of it?

I know this is going to sound stupid, but how do you feed it brine shrimp? Do you just set beside it, or do you dangle one in front of it?
Brine shrimp are very small. A turkey baster or syringe of some sort and then gently blowing the shrimp around and over the frogspawn will do the trick. FWIW I dont feed my frogspawn.

Newly hatched brine shrimp has the highest nutritional value. I would caution using brine shrimp too much. http://www.aquaworldaquarium.com/hatching_brine_shrimp.htm

I do not target feed my LPS. I feed my tanks Rod's food. The corals are able to capture the food through current. If you can get your hands on this food, I highly recommend it. It is good for fish and corals.

Feed them nothing...grow like a weed. All started from one two headed clump.

tankaug075.jpg

Last edited:
I don't feed mine, either, and it grows well. Being a stony coral, it needs calcium/alk/magnesium to build its structure, so keep those in check. It also loves light, but doesn't need it as badly as some SPS. Medium light, and medium flow. Too much flow beats 'em up.

A great resource for things like this are the Search function above, as well as the search function at www.wetwebmedia.com

ive got a 90 gallon diamond dedicated to frogspawn.
lighted by 2 t-5's.
i dose reefbooster by prodibo
do weekly 5gal water changes
add 2 part calcium by warner marine
the tank is skimmerless.
not to much flow.

i find frogspawn very hardy and adaptive to many conditions.

ive also kept frogspawn lighted by 400 and 250 watt metal hilides as well as power compact with very good results.

vic

ive got a 90 gallon diamond dedicated to frogspawn.
lighted by 2 t-5's.
i dose reefbooster by prodibo
do weekly 5gal water changes
add 2 part calcium by warner marine
the tank is skimmerless.
not to much flow.

i find frogspawn very hardy and adaptive to many conditions.

ive also kept frogspawn lighted by 400 and 250 watt metal hilides as well as power compact with very good results.

vic

dang. how many watts are the t-5's? just curious. doesnt seem like much light.

is it common that if the water gets to a certain temperature (hot) that they retreat back into the stem? It was a decently warm day today and I was gone for the weekend so the lid didn't get opened and the AC was never turned on (my wife forgot). It was approx 85 degrees! STINK!!

Last edited:
How long will frogspawn stay retreated in the stem? When should I start to worry?

Hopefully this will be my last question for awhile:) Thanks everyone for your help.

Back