From the ocean

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sizemore

I just got back from the beach with my kids and we found a few clams (about an inch large), some mangrove seeds that are germinating, some white macroalgae, and some coral rubble that I'd like to trhow in the tank. I know QT is the way to go, but I don't have a QT setup. What risks exist if I were to toss the stuff in? I will put it back in the waves if I can't keep them...

The biggest risk is transferring some parasite into your tank or a nuicance algae of some sort. I put wild stuff in my tank all the time from around here and don't quarentine eventhough I know I should :oops: but have had good success so far except this one time, I added bubble algae to my 75gal which I wasn't too happy about. The best thing to do is quarentine though, but it is up to you. It's definately a risk you will be taking if you just toss it in:)

it's about time we got some Floridians here!!! Welcome to Reeffrontiers!! i would qt everything that you put in your tank..i put some seaweed in one of my extra tanks a few months ago..my chaeto smothered all the plants that i added..i was going to try to give it to my tangs after a month or so in the qt tank..it is not a good idea to add stuff without qt'ing though

I set up a 10 gal QT, threw in a branching orange sponge I found. I'm gonna try to get some more stuff my next day off. Is there anything I should do in the QT? All there is is a handful of shells and that sponge in there, running a cheapo penguin filter and cheapo standard lighting... I mean, what else, if anything should I do, and how long should I QT? And If I add more stuff, do I start the QT all over again? Also, wont the tank cycle since it's brand new? Sorry for so many ??, I've never QT'd before... LOL!

Thanks for the welcome, Ron!

i too run penguin filters on some of my tanks..the reason is because of the biowheel.. if i need to seed a tank with bacteria, i can just switch one of the biowheels to the new tank......any new additions should be qt'd for 6-8 weeks to be sure...if you add anything new, you have to start over the qt time..the sponge that you found is likely to die..when you remove a sponge from water, it will probably kill it..the dieoff from sponges is pretty strong..the tank will have to cycle if it hasn't already...the dieoff will start the cycle for you..does your power filter have a biowheel?? if so, your bacteria will grow on it.. get a test kit and start testing the water..once the ammonia and nitrites have fallen to zero, you could do a good water change to lower the nitrates and it will be ready to go..don't put any livestock in the tank until it has cycled

Thanks for the advice/info, Ron!

I still have some hope for the sponge, I found him as he washed up on shore and set him in a cleaned out beer can full of seawater till we got home. He dried up on the tips just a bit, but I mean to trim those tips and maybe get him to grow onto a ock. He looks like a carrot, except branching all over!

I hope the cycling wont off him...

I'll wait for the cycle to put in fishies... There's some nice fishies in the shoreline :)

BTW, are we the only Floridians here? Tampa Reff Club, I've seen, but that's about it...

I'll wait for the cycle to put in fishies... There's some nice fishies in the shoreline
definately wait for the cycle to finish before adding fish!!i have seen just some everyday fish on the shoreline, nothing neat..now by the jetties where i snorkel, i have just recently found some really neat fish that i had no idea were in these waters..(the gulf) i found tangs,damsels,angels,...... and i've seen pics of butterflies from here..i plan on catching a tang or two!!:)
BTW, are we the only Floridians here?
i am pretty sure that we are..i can't think of anyone else right off

There are several Flordians here. They just hide because they do not want to be associated with Ron.:D

man...the only thing that i could do would be a cold water, but i dont want to buy a chiller unless i have to. to bad they didnt have water tight suite cases because i am going to florida next year! just thought i would let all you warm waterians that i am jealous...jk

Back