Fuge inhabitants

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Xtremedave67

Now that my Fuge is up and running, ( not without some learning curve to getting fine tuned and all)

a Local LFS told me that in time it will build up with the Pods????
do I want to add any live Pods or other beneficial life to Fuge? or will this just occur in time?

the pods will occur over time. You may want to put a few hermits and snails in your sump/refugium. You just want to keep them out of your return section so they dont get sucked in by the return pump.

Will do, certainly dont plan around us :) when she wakes and she is up for the drive, Ill text ya :) if your around awesome.
BTW is that store Jones & Co in Mville any good for supplies?

Depends on what your looking for! I would say they are ok, they have alot of stuff and wouldnt hurt looking there. I would rather give them some business versus Carks feed there in Bham

i would say add some snails (ceriths, trochus, strombus, stomatella) if ya like and maybe some pods. Skip anything that might eat other critters. That means no crabs of any kind.

You have to have pods in your system before they populate in the fuge. They don’t just grow out of nothing. Get a handful of sand or a piece of live rock to borrow from someone for a week or so and you have more pods then you can shake a stick at in no time.

Hey Dave, if you would like a mix of Caulerpa mexicana, grape caulerpa & Chaeto teaming w/ pods to add to your sump/fuge give me a call. I'm down in SE Everett just east of Silver Lake. I'll pm you my # and address

Todd

he's heading over to my place now in seattle, and I'm hooking him up with some grape caulerpa and chaeto.

I've also got a 1/4" mesh bag full of small shells (maybe 2.5" by 4" in size, with 30+ shells in it) in my fuge, which has been in there a month. A bunch of pods should have holed up in there by now, so I'm going to give him that along with the algae. So, he should be in decent shape.

I don't know your system...but if you have liverock in your main tank you dont need to do anything! The pods can travel from your main tank to your fuge with no problem...thats assuming you have live rock in your main tank. You do want to have rock in your fuge for your pods to hide but beyond that I have no suggestions. You can put snails but there is no point in it.

SRWwoodstock, sand right now, was thinking about Miracle mud.

sure is interesting to watch the fuge LOL

Rob Im seeing pods :)

Great, I was going to ask you about that this weekend. There should be tons soon if you are seeing them. Let me know how it goes.

Interested in how well my 'pod hotel' I gave you works. Did I give those to you last weekend or the weekend before that?

If you haven't added any fish to your system, now is the time to add pods. This will enable a good jump start to the population, before fish are present. A deep sand bed, and a ball of chaeto, in your refugium, will also help reduce nitrates, and create a safe place for pods to reproduce. As for snails, I'd add a couple Nassarius, to stir the deep sand bed. Other than that, maybe a few Cerith snails. I wouldn't add any crabs at all.

Back