Fuge lighting 24/7

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SeaMonster

Since my Grape algae went sexual, I have been keeping the light on 24/7.

my question is will this new lighting schedule hurt the softies I have in the fuge?

Many thanks in advance :)

for some reason, my mushrooms that have ended up in the fuge didn't have a large problem with the 24/7 light.

However, I got rid of that dreaded grape calurpa a long time ago. I can't stand that stuff. Now I have cheato(wire algea) and kelp, and unfourtuneatly hair algea in my fuge.

I have had the lights off in the fuge for about a week now, in an attemp to kill down as much hair algea as possible before i remove it manually. I am not seeing any nagative effects on the cheato or kelp.

My hairy shroom was very unhappy today, I am guessing from the 24/7 lighting????

I am getting rid of the rest of the grape.

I read kipping the lights on around the clock keeps it from going sexual but there has been to solid evidence.

yeah, get rid of the grape. IMO that stuff is just not worth messing with. I had some get in my main tank and it is now there for good, I have tried everything to get rid of it.

I was keeping my lights on 24/7 for a long time. I finally got nervous that it was wasting power and not being as effeicent as I was thinking. 16 hours seems better to me. If you think about it, the photosyntheis process doesn't immediately stop, so I would immagine for a about 2-3 hours the algea is still working to your advantage.

Last edited:
if you got it in your main tank, a tang will get rid of it quick. My tangs eat every lst bit of it

Back