Fuzzy Mushroom Down

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Almondsaz

This is a bit confusing....my large green fuzzy mushroom (about 5 inches across when fully open) just started to exhibit a decline in health. It started with a showing of "purple" looking entrails and then it began to spread. The following is a picture (sorry for the poor quality) of what it looks like this am. I fear this is the "melting" stage for a mushroom. Is it? and is there anything I can do? Please help if possible, this is my favorite softie in the reef.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

David

Any idea on what started the injury? What are your water numbers? What else is in the tank with it?

If it appears to be rotting, start running carbon and move it to a different location. If the rot continues, cut away the remaining good tissue from the bad with a razor blade. Hopefully the good tissue will survive.

My numbers a right on the mark, just had them tested. I have several ricordea, a torch coral (not near the fuzzy) sun coral, clove, star. Nothing that would "start chemical warfare" that I am aware of. If the fuzzy was near the torch I would say there is a possibility.

I spoke with the local reef store and they said that I should be adding the daily drop of iodine to help. I am running carbon and have been for about a week. This evening the mushroom seems to be looking much better. I will post a pic. Night and day to this am's pic, I would not have thought they could change that quickly.

If you change water, you probably don't need to dose iodine. There are many chemical warfare creatures in your tank including the torch (very potent) and star polyps. This is not necessarily the problem. If the carbon is helping, definitely maintain it.

Back