FYI...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
I WILL NEVER DO T5 supplemental lighting again!!!! Icecap 430 ballast something wrong there not sure if it was the harness or ballast. So I went out got another ballast from platt electrical and proceeded to wire it up. Followed the diagram 7 times finally got it working on the ground. So then I mounted it in the canopy...that was a blast too let me tell you. Got everything mounted....no light....took it all back down...put it back up...5 times. Finally got light going. Went to move the ballast and got shocked for the second time because I hadn't taped everything up yet.

FAILURE!!!!

Hey seth 110 hurts!!!!!
Dont touch wires LOL
Do I need to come over and show you how to do EVERYTHING??? LOL

I got it thanks....lol.

In all honesty I did almost call you though! I was p*^&5ed after awhile because I KNEW if was wired right and the power line was soldered at the splice.

Hey seth 110 hurts!!!!!
Dont touch wires LOL
Do I need to come over and show you how to do EVERYTHING??? LOL

110V don't hurt, just tickles.
9000V(Nine thousand) hand to hand hurts! LOL, bad experience with a Neon sign transformer!

Any way, glad to here you got it going. A good trick when doing any electrical work, KEEP ONE HAND IN YOUR BACK POCKET, electricity can't get to your heart that way. Just give you a little tickle to remind you that it's there, LOL. I used to play around with a lot of HIGH VOLTAGE, recklessly, now I have alot of RESPECT for it. 9000V will do that, LOL.

LOL yes. I was working on some wires in a engine compartment of a EA6B in the navy when someone decided to energize the plane to do a test and didn't know I was in there.. Needless to say, I didn't need a V8 that day...

220 volt surviver here,

Been wiring up floor sanders to mains since I was 13. At 16 I got cocky and blown across a room after slipping with a screw driver. Still doing it 26 years later, lesson learned well
Electrocuted_on_train.gif

Yeah My grandfather was a Lineman and later an electrician with PG&E for almost 35 years...he lectures and such, but I learned the basics. I honestly just wasn't expecting that shock and didn't notice the sheathing was stripped on that solid core.

I am reminded yet again that it's funny when somebody else gets zapped. Next time get it on video. You could be youtube famous.
Before anyone airs me out for trying to be funny, please understand that I've worked in electronics for 25 years and have done the 60 cycle shuffle more than once. I've also done the 400 cycle shuffle and that one songs a bit more.

Mike

I have actually had over 180,000Volts run across my skin, used it to light blown flouresents. cool stuff, the Tesla Coil.

Sorry for going way off sub.

Just goes to show how many of us get to play with electricty.

So what are the best alternatives for T5s? Suggestions for a 2'x2'x6' reef with SPS and LPS corals considering most vibrant colors, best growth of the corals, AND doesn't hang from the ceiling?

T5 lighting isn't the problem... DIY T5 lighting is the problem :) The only connection I want to deal with on my lighting is the plug.

I can't understand why you had to use tape on anything, there should be no need if done right.

I had to solder the power line to the solid copper wire for the ballast. I could only find a stranded wire power plug. So I tested everything before taping the connection. Also I taped around the ballast where the wires went into the ballast.

Back