GARF Grunge

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FreakinReefin

Insert idiot comment
Has anyone ever used this "Live Sand Activator"? I am curious about it and am hoping someone here has some experience with it. Thanks in advance!

i have only heard people complain about the grunge. I would say not worth the money just go to your LFS when they get in some live rock and ask them for some of the rubble. Or trade sand with some local reefers.

I am planning on putting in an order for 5 lbs for my hang on fuge and asking for the 3 free pounds of the plus for my sump. I will update you if I ever follow through. I have so much stuff to do, and I'm trying really hard to do it slow.

Yeah I have also heard the garf grunge is not what it used to be.

Lots of reefers swap sand, a cup from him, a cup from her, a cup from them and boom! Diversity!

Dang that really sucks... I'll probably end up digging a cup or two out of my current refugium, I just didn't want to have any connection at all between my two systems.

Have not heard much good about it - check the other forums...I remember a few posts a few years ago with reports of odd items showing up in it - staples etc... Never, used it so that is just based on heresay.

I personally would do with out it let the sand work on it's own pace. same goes for swapping sand with other locals you are asking for issues later down the road. when I transfer a tank i buy all new sand less toxins in the water. a cup hear a cup there some red bugs here some matrix crabs there you never know. i like the better safe then sorry method sand you can not quarintine frags you can!

Why not are you having issues with the old set up?

Not really, I just wanted to run two autonomous systems that have their different controls and so on. I think it would be fun to see how different things react in different environments, plus I plan to be running two seperate styles of tanks.

Have not heard much good about it - check the other forums...I remember a few posts a few years ago with reports of odd items showing up in it - staples etc... Never, used it so that is just based on heresay.

Staples?? That's nuts! Sounds like the sand in the Puget Sound...nails, railroad spikes...etc..

I personally would do with out it let the sand work on it's own pace. same goes for swapping sand with other locals you are asking for issues later down the road. when I transfer a tank i buy all new sand less toxins in the water. a cup hear a cup there some red bugs here some matrix crabs there you never know. i like the better safe then sorry method sand you can not quarintine frags you can!

While that is a good point, seeding sand is essentially the same as seeding rock with a small live piece. I am using mostly dry Eco rock and want to make sure the sand bed is seeded for filtration while the rock goes through its cycling. But it is a good point about QT'ing frags.

Back