Gary's Oceanic Illuminata 57 build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to be out of town for a week. After I get back I will move everything back to the Illuminata and try the drain modification.

I am back from my trip. My family and I spent the week in Hawaii. We're even more excited about the tank now! I got a new Illuminata before leaving. On Sunday we transferred everything to the new tank.

aftertrip.jpg

Here is the tank today. I need to raise the level in the pump chamber because a lot of bubbles are being blown in the tank. All the water tests look great.

We're going to get a few fish, some cleaners, a few soft corals and some more live rock over the next few days. For the fish, I was thinking about getting a pair of baby clowns and 1 or 2 small gobies. I'll put a screen on the outlet and the sponge on the power head to protect the small fish.

If anyone has any suggestions for starter fish, please let me know!

I think your fish choices are great, I wouldnt add them all at once though. Two at a time , with two to three weeks in between would be safe IMO. Soft corals dont add much Bio-load so a few small ones to start with would be fine.

BTW the tank looks good. Congrats

Thank peppie! I got some new stuff tonight. I got one more than peppie suggested. I couldn't help myself! I also got some live rock. There's also a cleaner shrimp in there but I didn't get any decent pictures of it.

022912.jpg

0229121.jpg

0229123.jpg

0229125.jpg

0229122.jpg

0229124.jpg

Stow-a-way. It seems like this may or may not be a bad thing depending on what you read.

Last edited:
------
I tried to upload a video to imageshack, but for some reason I couldn't.

Last edited:
Here's a link to the video I was trying to post yesterday. I like watching this goby!

[video]http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/417/ghl.mp4[/video]

Last edited:
They are so cute. I have one of those too. He is always moving sand from one place to another. I had to move all my coral off the sand bed because he kept burying it.

I ended up getting the ATI Sunpower Dimmable light fixture. For mounting, I had some tubes bend and black anodized. The vertical supports behind the tank aren't anodized as I wanted to get the placement correct. To me it looks like a lifeboat on a ship. I'm going to hang it directly from the ceiling. It was good to try though!

The light has: 2X Blue +, actinic, aqua blue special, purple +, coral +. I didn't know where to start with the lights so I chose what some other people were using. It is pretty blue. These pictures don't show the true blue of the tank.

Also, I put the glass lid on the tank. I don't like it, but a goby already jumped out. It's more important to me to watch out for those little guys!

Things are going well with the tank. All the water tests are turning out very good with the exception of KH. I was having some trouble raising that from 6. Barrier Reef recommended Alkalin8.3. After a week of following the instructions adding 10ml a day, I upped it to 20ml a day. The KH is now at 7. Hopefully it will keep rising!

032312000.jpg

032312001.jpg

Last edited:
Back