GE Silicon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aaron7405

Hi there can some one point me at the corect GE silicon to biuld my Fish tank.

I think is the silver one can some tell me if im rigth.

Thank you

I found this :

To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
Subject: GE Silicone Sealant
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 18:34:20 -0500

I visited the ge.com website and inquired about which product they recommend
as being safe for aquarium use. I received a couple of responses from two
different people within the company:

"Aquarium manufacturers have used RTV108 in fresh and saltwater aquariums up
to 20,000 gallons."

"The only product we recommend for aquariums is RTV108. I have attached a
data sheet for your review. We appreciate your interest in GE Silicones.
Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us
or visit our website at www.gesilicones.com."

GEI works great and is safe even though the tube says "not for aquarium use"
I have used it many times with no issues at all

GE is required to put "Not for aquarium use" on the tube. The reason for this is that GE also makes "Aquarium Sealant." It's the exact same thing...100% silicone...however, as part of the contract for "Aquarium Sealant" they're required to put the notice on GE Silicone.

Actually GE Silicone II has mold & Mildew inhibitors & that is the main reason why they say not recommended for aquarium use. GE I doesn't say that anywheres on the tubes, either way!

Possible GE changes the documentation on the tubes recently, as I see now some of the GE I will inhibit mildew but says nothing about mold as the GE II & II has caulk in it, I'd stick to the RTV108 LOL.

Actually GE Silicone II has mold & Mildew inhibitors & that is the main reason why they say not recommended for aquarium use. GE I doesn't say that anywheres on the tubes, either way!

actually this has been covered many times and is not correct. ge I and II are both 100 silicone for doors and windows. the bioseal mark is a marketing term used, GE themselfs have even stated it's the same stuff. i also have poison dart frogs and this issue has been proven. and i use II with no problems what so ever. read the tube, if it states its 100% silicone, it's 100% silicone.

actually this has been covered many times and is not correct. ge I and II are both 100 silicone for doors and windows. the bioseal mark is a marketing term used, GE themselfs have even stated it's the same stuff. i also have poison dart frogs and this issue has been proven. and i use II with no problems what so ever. read the tube, if it states its 100% silicone, it's 100% silicone.

Depends on which one you get, I've used the II also with no seen issues but read the labels to make sure If it states added inhibitors. Also as mentioned above the GE RTV108 it their designated aquarium safe product.

Depends on which one you get, I've used the II also with no seen issues but read the labels to make sure If it states added inhibitors. Also as mentioned above the GE RTV108 it their designated aquarium safe product.

you wont find any I or II that doesn't say it has bioseal in it now. if you do find some, it is old stock. the windows and door silicone is all the same 100% silicone. i only know this because of the huge debate a year or so ago, with actual e-mails and phone calls to GE to verify what bioseal really is. and bioseal is nothing added, it's just used for marketing purposes.

you wont find any I or II that doesn't say it has bioseal in it now. if you do find some, it is old stock. the windows and door silicone is all the same 100% silicone. i only know this because of the huge debate a year or so ago, with actual e-mails and phone calls to GE to verify what bioseal really is. and bioseal is nothing added, it's just used for marketing purposes.

They have changed the labeling as I mentioned above but sounds like from what your saying there is no difference from the GE I from the II, without testing it myself I can only go by what is put on their product labeling. Regardless you pulled up an old thread & is not pointed out anything that was already mentioned, If you read the entire thread.

They have changed the labeling as I mentioned above but sounds like from what your saying there is no difference from the GE I from the II, without testing it myself I can only go by what is put on their product labeling. Regardless you pulled up an old thread & is not pointed out anything that was already mentioned, If you read the entire thread.

i did read the entire thread, and was commenting on what i have personally been through with the product, as well as phone calls and e-mail to GE about this very subject. you stated it has mold inhibitors in it on the II, but they all state they have bioseal which is a mold inhibitor. but in truth it's 100% silicone, and people should not be afraid of I or II that has bioseal. if anyone knows different, i would love to know about it myself, as i am bulding a new sump again, and planned on using GE II for doors and windows. which the the doors and windows is the 100% silicone the others are not. maybe you were looking at the bathroom calk instead of doors and windows?

i did read the entire thread, and was commenting on what i have personally been through with the product, as well as phone calls and e-mail to GE about this very subject. you stated it has mold inhibitors in it on the II, but they all state they have bioseal which is a mold inhibitor. but in truth it's 100% silicone, and people should not be afraid of I or II that has bioseal. if anyone knows different, i would love to know about it myself, as i am bulding a new sump again, and planned on using GE II for doors and windows. which the the doors and windows is the 100% silicone the others are not. maybe you were looking at the bathroom calk instead of doors and windows?

Your beating a dead horse here at one time the GE Doors & Windows II was labeled with mold & Mildew Inhibitors on them, now they put that bio-seal instead, I even found GE I Doors & Windows with it on at one time but as we stated that was removed off the labeling. I've since then saw where it was all removed & on old GE I silicone It use to say aquarium safe & does not mention that either. Also regardless GE I is a lot cheaper in most cases & is 100% silicone, so why not us it over the II? Them putting bio-seal is most probably a legal issues as returnofsid also said & I after that agreed with him & since found out for myself that indeed the labaling isn't the same.
No argument here, GE was the ones that had the labeling issues & that was pointed out many times already.

Your beating a dead horse here at one time the GE Doors & Windows II was labeled with mold & Mildew Inhibitors on them, now they put that bio-seal instead, I even found GE I Doors & Windows with it on at one time but as we stated that was removed off the labeling. I've since then saw where it was all removed & on old GE I silicone It use to say aquarium safe & does not mention that either. Also regardless GE I is a lot cheaper in most cases & is 100% silicone, so why not us it over the II? Them putting bio-seal is most probably a legal issues as returnofsid also said & I after that agreed with him & since found out for myself that indeed the labaling isn't the same.
No argument here, GE was the ones that had the labeling issues & that was pointed out many times already.

i have a hard time finding the I that is clear silicone where im at, only the II.

Back