GE Silicon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am not sure if this one has been covered but, I got GE type I and there was two tubes to choose from. A red one and a blue one. I got the blue one on account that the red tube said that the cured silicone is mold and mildew resestant. This one doesn't say that anywhere, just not for food areas or aquariums. Does anybody have any expierences with this one and or did I just buy the wrong stuff?

I am not sure if this one has been covered but, I got GE type I and there was two tubes to choose from. A red one and a blue one. I got the blue one on account that the red tube said that the cured silicone is mold and mildew resestant. This one doesn't say that anywhere, just not for food areas or aquariums. Does anybody have any expierences with this one and or did I just buy the wrong stuff?

I would say that if it states right on the tube Not for food or Aquarium then not to use it.
I believe that the silicon people use is food safe type, which would also mean aquarium safe.

Hope that helps,
Alex

I have thought about it and I think the difference is the blue is window and door and the red is kitchen and bath. Now, I would agree with the food safe part but I was also under the impression that the mold inhibiters is bad. The two products are 100% silicone.

I have thought about it and I think the difference is the blue is window and door and the red is kitchen and bath. Now, I would agree with the food safe part but I was also under the impression that the mold inhibiters is bad. The two products are 100% silicone.

From what I understand you would be correct that mold inhibitors are bad. I have also read that if the tube states 100% silicone and does not say anything about mold and mildew inhibitors than you would be okay.

Hope this helps,
Alex

Just for future reference, I went ahead and checked with All Glass, Dap and GE (aka Momentive Performance Materials ) for the ingredients in there silionces that are marketed as 100% Silicone and below is what I found from each product.
From my research I found that only the Dap 100% Silicone in the blue tube has the same MSDS ingredients as the All Glass silicone, the GE Silicone 1 (Doors & Windows) and the RTV108 silicones both have a few other MSDS ingredients.

I hope that this will come in handy for those who have done as I and tried to find an alternative to the aquarium silicones.

Just my 2¢ and not trying to step on any toes.
Thanks,:)
Alex

All Glass MSDS contains:
ETHYLTRIACETOXYSILCANE
METHYLTRIACETOXYSILCANE
Received MSDS through email after telephone contact.

DAP MSDS contains:
ETHYLTRIACETOXYSILCANE
METHYLTRIACETOXYSILCANE
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=25

GE Silicone 1 (Windows and Doors) MSDS contains:
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM)
HYDROTREATED METHYLTRIACETOXYSILCANE
DIMETHYLPOLYSILOXANE
TREATED FILLER
Received MSDS through email after telephone contact.

GE Silicone RTV108 MSDS contains:
METHYLTRIACETOXYSILCANE
OCTAMETHYLCYCLOTETRASILOXANE
SILOXANES & SILICONES
DIMETHYLPOLYMERS w/METHYSILSESQUIOXANES
TREATED FILLER
http://www.gesilicones.com/NASApp/gesilecomm/SQuickMsds?Pole=USA&SLORG=AM01&Product=RTV108

I would stay away from the GE Silicon II as all the packaging I've ever seen says something about microbacterial agents.

GE Silicon II MSDS contains:
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM)
HYDROTREATED MIDDLE
HEXAMETHYLDISILAZANE
METHYLTRIACETOXYSILCANE
METHOXYPOLYDIMETHYLSILOXANE
POLYDIMETHYLSILOXANE
TREATED FILLER
http://www.momentive.com/geam/gesa/.../ProductDetail/gesiliconeiiwindowanddoor.html

Then search msds for GE5000 and in the drop down menu it is ge5000cl

Hope that helps.
Alex

Very nice, good info. So I know ingredients are what tells the story but I am courious as to why they say (they as in DAP) not for continous underwater use? I wish you would have found this sooner. I have already used the GE I on my build. Although where that silicone is at it will not be underwater all the time, I used it for my Euro Brace.

spllbnd2,

Could you please check your spelling on the two ingredients you listed for the DAP and the ALL GLASS products.

I ask cause I have a tube of DAP aquarium silicone and the two ingredients are the same as the one you listed if you do have a typo.
I have:
Ethyltriacetoxysilane
Methyltriacetoxysilane

You have:
xxxxxxxxxxsilcane

Not trying to be a dork here, I just know a letter here or there means two different products.

Okay I see now that yes in fact the Silicone you refer to is the exact same as my tube of DAP's Aquarium Sealant. NICE FIND MAN!

Last edited:
Mispelled, sorry guess I'm bad with trying to type and read a long word like those. :)

If anyone would like I can email you all of the PDF, Word MSDS files that I have for the products mentioned.

Thanks,
Alex

Very nice, good info. So I know ingredients are what tells the story but I am courious as to why they say (they as in DAP) not for continous underwater use? I wish you would have found this sooner. I have already used the GE I on my build. Although where that silicone is at it will not be underwater all the time, I used it for my Euro Brace.

Personally I would not beto concerned with using the GE Silicon I as there have been quite a few individuals here and elsewhere that have used it with no harm done for years.

Alex

FYI,
The information that I have provided is just so people can decide on their own what silicon they would like to use and/or at the very least know what the product they are using has in it.
Call me very through but working as an auto tech I knwo that the MSDS is where I always look if I want to know what a product contains.
Also if anyone ever needs an MSDS sheet for any chemical product that you have purchased ask your retailer as they are to supply it on request. That I know is a federal law as well, had to do a paper in college on MSDS facts.

Hope this helps,
Alex

Yea, I hear you on the long word deal. I had to write it down and check it twice to make sure I got it right. I wouldn't say that I was worried about the silicone it just would have been nice to use the other.

I know that since you have posted this I will be buying the DAP. It is intresting how the DAP tubes say not to use it on tanks over 30 gallons and not any taller than 18". But I don't suspect the same restrictions apply to the All Glass silicone.

Last edited:
Yea, I hear you on the long word deal. I had to write it down and check it twice to make sure I got it right. I wouldn't say that I was worried about the silicone it just would have been nice to use the other.

I know that since you have posted this I will be buying the DAP. It is intresting how the DAP tubes say not to use it on tanks over 30 gallons and not any taller than 18". But I don't suspect the same restrictions apply to the All Glass silicone.

That is strange considering both silicones have the same ingredients too. Very strange how some companies just don't want to take the heat if their product fails. :D Donno?

Alex

Back