generator power

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My main generator is a older (7-8 years) Generac, so I'm betting I would need some sort of protection. Just what this is, I'm not sure of.

I agree, a good quality UPS would do it, like one for a computer system. They kick in for a number of different reason from high voltage, low voltage or even static noise on the line. A simple surge protector will not help much with a generator I don’t think.

Get yourself one of these Honda's and call it good. That will run your tank and be so quiet that you'll wonder if it's on. I've got a 6500W generator that I use to run the tank, house lights, heat, TV and computers. It's nice being warm and dry while you're surfing the net during a power outage.

Mike

Thats a nice little unit...spendy sucker though.

Hey Eric, in the link, which of those would be enough to protect a computer and which would be good for a plasma tv/blu-ray and amp system?

I was mainly using them as examples because this is the brand of one I have for my computer. I’m sure if you talk to the manufacture they could tell you. I do know that plasma tv use 2 to 4 times the power of a LCD or LED tv so you will want to check how much your tv uses and size the UPS accordingly. Same thing with your computer system, some only use 150 watts and some gaming systems can use a lot more.

Back