german shepherd or boxer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rotties are nice dogs too. Even pittbulls can be real sweet, but depends on how they're raised. That's sad to hear that someone stole your uncle's rot. I know the feeling because someone stole my Chester.

It is also sad to see dogs that are going to be left on the back porch the rest of their life. Puppies are a lot of work, and I think people just give up and keep the dog outside. If they only researched a little bit and understood how to raise a dog then the whole family can enjoy a great addition to the family.

English sheep dogs are huge. A friend of mine has a Great Dane, and wow his backyard was a mine field. lol

pitt bull, rottwheilers, boxer they all have bad reputation but all have to do how you train them and how much attention you give them. I have 2 f. Pitt. and a chihuahua use to my chihuahua die she was to old. my 2 girls they are GREAT they take care of my 3 year old daughter.
gabby laughed because she says that any body can come in my house and my dogs don't even bark gabby (spongebob lover) says what brave dogs I have.

If you want a somewhat calmer, doesn't-need-a-huge-amount-of-attention dog? get the boxer.

while some pups from the same litter of near any breed of dog may be high energy and always craving attention and misbehaving because they don't get enough, some won't be.

shepards in general need LOTS of attention, a LARGE backyard and NEED tons of stuff to do. If you choose a shepard be prepared that you may get an individual that will act exactly like the worst behaving border collie you've heard of.

boxers don't. There are plenty of apt/small homes that have indoor-kept boxers that they have no problem leaving at home alone. That would not be the case for shepards.

There are people that may disagree and say "shepards act fine and dandy". Sure, if you're retired or stay-at-home person and that shepard never fears that their owner is gone for hours.

it's very odd you've chosen 2 very different dogs to pick, which makes me assume that this is one of your first dogs.

Still havent got one but Ive decided on the German Shepherd. Although I did hear, from numerous people, that shedding is a big problem. but all things considerd, I think that a Shepherd is the way to go.

I don't know if this was mentioned, if this is the first dog I recommend taking obedience class. Those classes are for the owner, not the dog. Dogs and humans communicate differently and can be quite frustrating on both if you don't understand their ways. they're great dogs and good luck!

I've spent the last 5 years working in animal sheltering and I have to be honest..I wouldn't go with either of those breeds. Boxers are one of the most prone breeds to end up with cancer (alot of times at a very young age)...as for sheps...hip issues, seperation anxiety...definately don't get a white shep...they have a whole host of issues on top of the normal shep ones...my advice is to go with a mut...if you can find a pit/lab mix it's a great mix...from my experience pure breds are just trouble...got mix up that gene pool especially since so many breeders breed to make money money money....just my opinion

Red or Blue Heeler!! AKA cattle dog. Followed by a Border Collie. The only drawback is the large amount of human contact needed, they need time to run and play with people.

DB

Boxer all the way. Only thing is they are very hyper so if you aren't going to spend the time with obedience training then I wouldn't bother. Excellent dogs though.

I've spent the last 5 years working in animal sheltering and I have to be honest..I wouldn't go with either of those breeds. Boxers are one of the most prone breeds to end up with cancer (alot of times at a very young age)...as for sheps...hip issues, seperation anxiety...definately don't get a white shep...they have a whole host of issues on top of the normal shep ones...my advice is to go with a mut...if you can find a pit/lab mix it's a great mix...from my experience pure breds are just trouble...got mix up that gene pool especially since so many breeders breed to make money money money....just my opinion

that is true. mutts do tend to have less health issues. Purebreds tend to be picky eaters too. I've had mutts that were great dogs, but it is the purebreds that are crowd pleasers :cool:

if you guys are looking for a nice semi-show quality dog(I say "semi-show", becuz if it was totally show worthy, a respectable breeder will only sell it to an experienced handler/breeder), that is only going to be a spayed pet, look at www.imageevent.com CLICK PUBLIC GALLERY and type in the breed you want, and up will come a list of many breeder sites. Obviously you have to do a little homework on "who's good", but this is one of the better places that dog breeders put their dogs/puppies online (it costs them $35 a year to have the silly imagevent site, so they're serious about what they do).
certain breeds aren't on there, but most <$1000 breeds are.

Most all pages have "upcoming breedings" or "available litters"

and guys don't be wowed when someone says "AKC registered" as sooo many people are. AKC registered means "I paid $35 and sent in a form that says my possibly malformed breed of a dog is recognised by AKC as that breed". Big woop, they paid $35 for a piece of paper without actually showing the dog to anybody.

Be impressed when someone says "UKC registered"(yes there is a HUGE difference between UKC and AKC). or "AKC Grand Champion". or atleast "2 or more AKC champions".

And if you find some incredibly popular breed of dog like a golden retriever as an "AKC Grand Champion", that's VERY impressive because if I had a "grand champion" of a lesser known breed such as a Irish Setter, then he may have been deemed "better" than a total of 50 dogs of the same breed in a 3-5 dog shows. If I had a "AKC grand champion" golden retriever, because of the sheer number of dogs of that breed entered, he would have to be judged better than 500 other golden retrievers.

Obviously no one's gonna "pet out" a grand champion dog, but if you find a "pet" puppy of 2 parents that were grand champions, that's what you wanna go for. KNOW that A GOOD breeder will not sell a show/breed quality puppy as a pet(because they themselves want the puppies of their champion dogs to go on to show/breed to give more respect to that line), and most likely will neuter or spay immediately for people that only want a pet.

Last edited:
Back