Getting a 120g!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
i have been wanting to get a bigger tank ever since i had to get rid of my bigger ones.. i have shopped around lately...i wanted a 120g or a 90g... the lfs' here have outrageous markups!! the first one told me $650 (without the standpipes).. i just called one in Panama City and they quoted my $529...my buddy knows the owner of this one and he is going to get them to go lower.. i should have the tank in the next 2 weeks!!!! my excuse for getting the tank is that i need a bigger tank so that i can combine the 3 tanks in my spare room!! it is going to be a baby room in 8 weeks!!!!:badgrin:

Ron -

Was it SunCoast? I used to deal with them (Eric) when I lived in Destin. By the way, coming into town this weekend and would love to see your set up, if you have time.

Ron,
I wish you were close to Tri-Cities. I know where there is a complete 125 gallon Set up for $600. A friend is going into Armed Forces. He has a 6ft glass tank with Stand, Aqua C skimmer, return pumps, nice sump, about 80lbs of rock, fish, for that price. The lights are PCs. The complete set up for that price.

here is link from Midcolumbia Saltwater forum with more information.
http://mcsac.org/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,39/topic,1060.0/

Last edited:
Mugg, it is Suncoast!! i should get a good price some time today.. i am still waitng for my buddy to call me back....
Ed, that sounds like a great deal, but it is on the complete other end of the country!:D i sold my last 125g for $600 wished afterwards i had asked more..i just had to dump it quick because i had to move

i've never been to the shop.. i may have to go pick it up, but i think my buddy might get it when he goes out there.....

It's a PITA to get to. You have to go under the new elevated entry to the Hathaway Bridge. The first time I went, I ended up across the bay and had to turn around!

i would seriously never buy a tank from the store. i saw a 220 gallon on craigslist for $125. sold in one hour but theres lots more, just have to keep an eye out.

Congrats on your new tank Ronj! I am sure you will have fun with it.

Also regarding-
i would seriously never buy a tank from the store. i saw a 220 gallon on craigslist for $125. sold in one hour but theres lots more, just have to keep an eye out.

You see a lot of stuff sell fast on CL.. but there is a great deal of peace of mind setting up a tank with new seals, etc. I picked up a 100 gallon glass tank used a year ago and even with proper leveling the thing started to split on me. The center brace on the top fell in on the inhabitants and I had to hold the front and back panels together with carpenter clamps. Yikes. I woke up and went to bed checking on it expecting it to split every day.

I decided to get something custom built and make a switch to acrylic, which I am glad I did. I like the clarity of acrylic and it was fun making an odd sized tank that allows me to reach in without a step stool to the bottom of my 155. With some shopping around a custom tank can be of far superior quality to a standard tank and be suprisingly affordable.

In any event, after what I went through with my used 100, it would be hard for me to setup another large tank that wasn't new. I could pick up a used nano and set it on the kitchen counter though.. if only I could convince my wife! ;)

Cheers,

Chris

I am in Jacksonville, FL and the LFS over here seem to charge outrageous prices for everything. Why does it seem the stores in the Northwest (WA) treat their customers better?

good question!!! well, i ordered the 129g.. it will be in sometime early next week.. i am finishing up on the stand in the mean time

Where did you find the extra 9 gallons from??? (LOL)
oops type-o!!!..the tank is in now.. i just have to find time to drive to Panama City to pick it up.. i still have to build a canopy and make some adjustments to my closed loop so that it will fit the new tank....

that would be a great idea if it was in our district.. PC is about 45min-an hour away

the tank or the baby???LOL there will definitely be some tank pics around the first or middle of the week!!!

Back