Getting first tank - Need Equipment advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yeah...A sump is a must IMO. Particularily, it's not generally added maintenance. It would all depend how you have it setup and what you have in it. For example, some people just use a sump for the extra water volume, as a source of flow and circulation (through the use of the pre-filter and return pump) and to hide un-sightly equipment like heaters, probes, skimmers etc. Setups like that could go without ever really being touched. When you get into keeping a macro algae, then there would be a little more work in terms of pruning etc. Also, some people use filter socks on their sumps intake tube to catch detritus which would need to be cleaned everyday or two to prevent messing up water quality and in all cases, water would have to be topped off (which can be done by a top off system) but all in all, keeping a sump is very simple and not usually really time consuming. And you are right...the benefits does out way the cons IMO...Best of luck!

That Hellolights VHO ballast is just a re-labled Advance or Magnetic ballast and only does 2 lamps. If you want a cheap ballast just visit your local electrical supply distributor. I'm not real fond of a company that re-lables other companies products. How do you know what your even buying is made for what you're actually using it to do?

DD

tava716 said:
TRC,

On the issue of lighting, I am going to buy the VHO ballast and wiring kit for around $50.00 and just instal it all into my existing hoods that came with my tank. (Iwill tear out all the normal output ballast and wiring and replace it with the VHO retro. I am not sure if this is a good ballast (but the price is nice). I know it is not the Icecap "electric" ballast (that is said to save $$$ on energy consumption and costs over $100.00) but it may be an idea for you. Check it out. http://www.hellolights.com/22elarovhoba.html

James

Back