Getting rid of flat worms....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mrturritos

I am going to order Flatworm Exit to get rid of the flat worms that entered my tank. I am just curious if I should dip all the coral (in flatworm exit)before hand to try and kill as many before I dose the tank. I noticed two different mushrooms where covered pretty badly a few days ago alongside a frogspawn and possible other coral.

I also need to get as many off the glass as per the instructions., I haven't used anything like it before so I am curious how much damage all the flatworm deaths can do.

Thanks for the help.

Make sure you buy enough flatworm exit to do treatments. Do one dose. Then wait two weeks and then do the next dose. Make surebyou have saltwater mixed to do a water change after doing dose

I agree wit reefman. .
Also u can scoop em in a net and rinse em when they start to float ur water column.
Charcol big bag too before or after ur wc.
Hths

If you can get them out of the tank you will be better off. I am using a syphon into the sump through a filter sock for Manila removeal of red slime alge and planaria in a coral only, no fish tank(CONF).

The product by reef pest solutions looks interesting and if I can get a bottle you are welcome to borrow. My plan is to dip the rocks to knock the population back.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to clean up the hob and get some carbon for it. I might as well start getting ro/di water as well.

TheKraken: let me know what you end up doing I would appreciate the help.

The Flatworm Control is a no go. I took out as many worms as I could into a little 16oz container and dosed it with four drops which is suppose to be enough for 10 gallons. About 2 hours later nothing is dead =(

I will probably go shopping for some new flat worm "stuff," if not it looks like I might have to reset the tank....

I did dip the LPS and mushrooms and saw a bunch of flat worms come off them, I also noticed before hand a lot of little bugs (no not copepods) some looked yellow that died off when I dipped the Euphyllia corals. They are all opening up much better for now....

I'v been trying to figure out what to do and it seems like the flatworm exit is hit or miss from what I can read. If anyone has other suggestions please fire away.

If you can get them out of the tank you will be better off. I am using a syphon into the sump through a filter sock for Manila removeal of red slime alge and planaria in a coral only, no fish tank(CONF).

The product by reef pest solutions looks interesting and if I can get a bottle you are welcome to borrow. My plan is to dip the rocks to knock the population back.

Kraken,

A friend happen to have the same product and he let me use it, it kills the pesky flat worms almost immediately. Preparing enough gallons with this stuff seems like it would cost a fortune if you have a lot of rock to dip. Maybe mixing up a few cups and bathing the rocks in the solution instead? Let me know what you do and how it works out for you.

I have the "all out" at my home and I like it.

I got a wrase and did a quick cold fresh water rince of the one rock with problems. I think nutrients are better too.

My current problem is monti eating nudibranch that is almost gone.

I don't really see them on my rock they are mainly all on the glass. I'll do a 10-20 gallon change via air line tubing getting as many worms as I possibly can. I might try dipping corals again in a few months to see if any of the flat worms on the corals came back.....

I was dipping rocks in Flatworm exit and it was killing them. It also killed my brittlestars. I was told to double the dose by Herefishyfish. Instead I got a Melanarus Wrasse to do it naturally, that was a week ago. He has pretty well wiped them out, and he is constantly picking at the rocks. I was told about this by Barrier reef, they didn't have any but OBD did. He's doing a great job.

Hey Husker, how big is the wrasse? I've been thinking of getting one for the same reason but have some Sexy Shrimp that a wrasse would probably find delicious.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Hey Husker, how big is the wrasse? I've been thinking of getting one for the same reason but have some Sexy Shrimp that a wrasse would probably find delicious.

Yeah, he might find those delicious. He is about 2 inches but can grow up to 3 1/2 to 4". He has a real pointy snout to suck up them flatworms. Fortunately, I don't have shrimp. I have read that they will eat small shrimp.

Last edited:
My tank is a meer 40 gallons =(, probably too small for said wrasse. I might try dipping a few of the rocks to see what comes off them, I have yet to see any flat worms of any kind on the rocks.

You think yours is small. Mine's a 10 gallon. If shrimp free I'd be willing to try a really small young wrasse... Then set up a bigger tank.

If only I had the room.

If you use the Flatworm Exit, make sure you try to get rid of as many as you can before treatment. When they die off they will release a toxin that can wipe out your whole tank. If you can find a small Sixline Wrasse, they are pretty good at it too. When it gets too big you could sell or trade it. A small Melanarus Wrasse would be okay too. If it is a 40 breeder with live rock, I think you would be fine.

I just checked and the Melunarus Wrasse and it requires a 50 gallon but a sixline only requires a 30 gallon. They eat flatworms too.

Yeah, I've read about Flatworm Exit. Like many chemicals it sounds a bit scary to use.

I have lots of these things in my refugium, in fact I'm thinking that's where they originated with a bunch of pods.

Guess I could take down the refugium, clean it up and start fresh, of course that wouldn't remove the critters from the tank...

I've read that Six Lined Wrasses can be aggressive and will go after shrimp, too.

My Melanarus is a model citizen. I too have heard that some Sixline Wrasses can be little pain in the butts, but others can be model citizens. I guess it is the luck of the draw.

Back