Getting Started

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fishfirst

Dear Reef Frontiers Members,

My wife and I are moving up from our current 29gal salt water system to a 125gal system.

It appears (initially) a sump system is recommended for this size, especially if we want to make it RR.

I have attached a photo of a used 65 gal sump that someone nearby has for sale (getting out of the hobby).

Before we make the purchase, we want to make sure we're making the right moves... e.g. sump vs cannister filter, etc.

In advance, thank you for your helpful thoughts and opinions.

Respectfully,

You don't want to use a cannister filter for a reef tank.
Looks like a sump that should work fine.
How much are they asking, is the return pump included, heater ?
Be sure it will fit into the stand you are planning on using.
Ask them if a skimmer is available to go with the sump.

You don't want to use a cannister filter for a reef tank.
Looks like a sump that should work fine.
How much are they asking, is the return pump included, heater ?
Be sure it will fit into the stand you are planning on using.
Ask them if a skimmer is available to go with the sump.

They are asking $100 for the sump... we don't have much more information right now... but will ask.

Thank you, finn

My one concern about that sump would be that it doesn't look like there is anywhere to put a Protein Skimmer in there. Have you put any thought in to your protein skimmer yet? Should think about that first because its going to dictate a variety of things about your sump like clearance height, and desired chamber size and water level.

My one concern about that sump would be that it doesn't look like there is anywhere to put a Protein Skimmer in there. Have you put any thought in to your protein skimmer yet? Should think about that first because its going to dictate a variety of things about your sump like clearance height, and desired chamber size and water level.

Yes, we do want a protein skimmer, however, not sure which chamber is appropriate... this is NEW territory for us.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, jezzeaepi...

Looks like it's a 3 chambered sump.
One for the skimmer, one for a refugium, and one for the return pump, heater and any other equipment.

+1 on all the above suggestions.

I bought a sump (brand new, paid retail, and still have it) that wouldn't fit through the stand door without removing the center brace, doh! (not so bad to remove the center brace IF the tank isn't already full of water, etc)

I agree, very important.
Find out what the exact dimensions are, of each chamber, figure how
much clearance you will have inside the stand and then start shopping for a skimmer.

To reiterate what others said:

Make sure it fits in the stand. You very well might have to make a custom stand.

I'd be hesitant on putting a fuge in the sump. I have a fuge on the side of my tank and keep the sump dark, so no algae or anything. But seems big enough that you could probably squeeze one in without too much issues.

Think about a protein skimmer. For example, I have an SWC (Salt Water Connections) 160 Cone skimmer. It is pretty compact as far as skimmers go. It works best in 9 inches of water. My sump has 15" of water. Once it is properly in place, the top of the skimmer is 25" off the floor of the stand. You want to make sure you have enough room to get a skimmer above the water line. Also, you'll want the skimmer in the chamber before the set of 3 baffles, so they can remove all the microbubbles the skimmer puts out. That will keep your display tank looking nice and clear.

As far as removing the center brace, its not too bad as long as the tank is empty. Will probably want to get the sump and plumbing all set up before you fill the tank.

Go slow and get it all assembled before adding water anywhere, you'll be happy you did.

rob

I'lll second that. Even though my stand has openings on the side, I almost forgot to properly situate the sump before filling the tank for the very first time.

Do you have any pictures of your stand and new tank. That would help everyone recommend things to do. I am building my own sump but that one you are looking at looks pretty nice as long as it fits with your program.

+1 to Rob (jrgilles) on the skimmer. I have not finished setting up my system and I already have learned tons on here form these people about lots of stuff and I believe a skimmer is a must. I too have heard that the SWC units are some of the best for the money, although I don't have one yet because of my startup budget. I have gone with a quality used one from Mark (skimerwhisper). I will get one of the SWC's though once we are up and running and see where we will go with all this.

Eric

Hey, the sump looks good. As already stated, a big consideration is if the protein skimmer will fit in. The skimmers usually say they want to sit in 9" or water or something like that. So, you have to put them on a little platform you make, and the top of the skimmer will stick out above the sump about a foot and a lhalf or so.

This makes it hard to put them into a stand, as the clearance is high. So, before you do anything, you should figure this out. If you talk to skimmerwhisperer on this site, he sells SWC (salt water connection) skimmers, that are a great bang for the buck. Careful, as there are a lot of cheap skimmers out there.

The skimmer usually goes in the first chamber of the sump, where the drains from the tank come in. It could go in a middle chamber if there was one, but you don't want it in the chamber with the return pump. You want baffles (bubble walls) between the skimmer and the return pump, as the skimmer puts out a ton of bubbles.

If you want to learn about sumps, check out this site:
melevsreef.com

good luck

Back